Grits cooking hints

Every time I cook grits, they stick to the bottom of the pot. Gas setting is simmer burner as low as possible. I’m stirring every 5 minutes or so. Is there a secret to preventing this? Maybe add some butter to the water or spray bottom with PAM first. Maybe the type of pot used? I use a stainless steel Farborware pot we have had for 37 years.

I use a stainless pot as well . Heat down as low as you can still maintain a flame . Stir every couple of minutes . I don't know what else to add . I don't use butter or PAM to cook . Try another pot is all I can suggest .

Not that I have found. Stir more.

I have been tempted to try my instant pot but haven't yet. Maybe I will try that tonight.

Ratio: 1/4 cup of grits to 1 cup of water.
Bring water to rolling boil and add grits. Stir until it again comes back to a boil. Turn down to simmer, while still stirring. When it’s safe to put on a lid, do so. Stir occasionally until you get the right consistency.

Every time I cook grits, they stick to the bottom of the pot. Gas setting is simmer burner as low as possible. I’m stirring every 5 minutes or so. Is there a secret to preventing this? Maybe add some butter to the water or spray bottom with PAM first. Maybe the type of pot used? I use a stainless steel Farborware pot we have had for 37 years.
A good thing you don’t have one of those glass top stoves.

My guess is that you're letting it get too dry. Add a dash of water to keep it moist.
Yea that’s what I do. And I put in a pat of butter and stir it in and that seems to help.
I got hooked on grits during my frequent trips to Augusta GA. Can’t avoid them there at breakfast and sooo yummy!

Ratio: 1/4 cup of grits to 1 cup of water.
Bring water to rolling boil and add grits. Stir until it again comes back to a boil. Turn down to simmer, while still stirring. When it’s safe to put on a lid, do so. Stir occasionally until you get the right consistency.
This is correct. 1/4 to 1 ratio of grits to water. Use regular type grits, if you can find them. Not the instant or 5 minute type, you want regular grits that take a little longer to cook. What I do is put the water in the pan, I like to add a little more than a cup so they will simmer longer for a better consistency, use maybe 1 and 1/4 cup of water, put the water in the pan and drop in about half a table spoon of real butter and 1/4 teaspoon of salt, bring it to a boil, then add the grits slowly to the boiling water while stirring with a small wire whisk. Turn the heat to low, just above simmer and keep stirring with the whisk until the boiling stops and settles to a simmer. Put a lid on the pan and stir with the whisk real often, at least once or twice a minute. That should keep the grits from sticking to the bottom of the pan. You can add a little more water if it needs it. The trick is to stir them often on low heat to keep the grits from sticking to the pan. This method should take about 12 to 15 minutes to cook, once the water boils. Then I just put the grits in a bowl with real butter, a little salt and sometimes add cheese. This recipe is just for one serving for me to eat, my wife is from Ohio and will not eat grits, no matter how I try to get her to try them. I grew up in Georgia and have been eating grits all my life.

These or Jim Dandy Old Fashioned are what I use

1670347236628.jpg

Last edited:
This is correct. 1/4 to 1 ratio of grits to water. Use regular type grits, if you can find them. Not the instant or 5 minute type, you want regular grits that take a little longer to cook. What I do is put the water in the pan, I like to add a little more than a cup so they will simmer longer for a better consistency, use maybe 1 and 1/4 cup of water, put the water in the pan and drop in about half a table spoon of real butter and 1/4 teaspoon of salt, bring it to a boil, then add the grits slowly to the boiling water while stirring with a small wire whisk. Turn the heat to low, just above simmer and keep stirring with the whisk until the boiling stops and settles to a simmer. Put a lid on the pan and stir with the whisk real often, at least once or twice a minute. That should keep the grits from sticking to the bottom of the pan. You can add a little more water if it needs it. The trick is to stir them often on low heat to keep the grits from sticking to the pan. This method should take about 12 to 15 minutes to cook, once the water boils. Then I just put the grits in a bowl with real butter, a little salt and sometimes add cheese. This recipe is just for one serving for me to eat, my wife is from Ohio and will not eat grits, no matter how I try to get her to try them. I grew up in Georgia and have been eating grits all my life.

These or Jim Dandy Old Fashioned are what I use

View attachment 129551
These Lakeside Mills Yellow Grits are my favorite.

Dixie Lily Yellow Grits and Bob’s Red Mill Polenta are also good choices.

Don't add the grits too fast. Stir in slowly while adding.
Didn’t know that. I’ve just been measuring them out and pouring them in and stirring. I’ll try this tomorrow am. I’m using Quaker grits. Says 15-20 min cook time on round package. They are only brand except store brand I see on the shelf. I’m not in grits loving country where there might be a selection to choose from.

I am not exactly sure why but it does help to shake the dry grits very slowly into the boiling water. The wire whisk makes a difference too, keeps the grits from forming in a big solid mass, kind of breaks them up, works much better than a spatula or spoon. I learned the tip about stirring the grits in slowly from someone's grandmother. When a Southern Grandmother wants to tell you how to cook something good to eat you had better listen.

Didn’t know that. I’ve just been measuring them out and pouring them in and stirring. I’ll try this tomorrow am. I’m using Quaker grits. Says 15-20 min cook time on round package. They are only brand except store brand I see on the shelf. I’m not in grits loving country where there might be a selection to choose from.
If you are only cooking one serving of grits, it may not take quite 15-20 minutes. When I make grits for myself it is just the single serving 1/4 cup of grits to a little more than 1 cup of water and they are done in maybe 12 to 15 minutes. A bigger batch will take longer to cook. The longer they cook, the thicker they will be. I like mine on the somewhat thin/slightly runny side. The other trick to good grits is using real butter. Both in the pot when cooking and in the bowl/on the plate when you eat them. Margarine or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter just does not taste as good as real butter in grits. I have heard some people put a dollop of pancake syrup in their grits, but I never tried that. A little salt, some butter and I am ready to eat. Sometimes I will stir in shredded mild cheddar cheese or a piece of Kraft processed cheese once they are out of the pot.

We add grits slowly to water/milk mix, and heat it slowly to a boil. Doesn’t take much stirring. When it starts thickening up, we usually add a pat of butter.

The add them slowly and whisk them rapidly will keep them from being lumpy. The stirring them during cooking will minimize the sticking during cooking, but letting them sit for 5 or 6 minutes in the pot after they come off the heat and them stirring them with the whisk again will eliminate a layer sticking to the bottom!

SD

I’ve been weird all my life but I’ve eaten some of the stuck stuff. Especially with sausage gravy. Don’t get me started…

I use a big spoonful of Kerrygold butter and some bacon bits to prevent mine from sticking.
I fully well intend for my cardiologist to earn his fees. ;)

Back