Grimmy oil at 8500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny that some folks always assume that the motor will explode soon when a motor starts consuming oil. My 99 has 180k+ now;it started using oil around 60k;just keep an eye on the oil level.

Clean the egr valve and tube using carb cleaner;suck seafoam into the intake and do a cylinder soak. Go back to dino oil(10w40) at 3k OCI.

drove old 83 bmw 528e for 100,000 miles using 1 quart of 20w50 Castrol GTX and 1 can of Bardol No-Smoke every 500-700 miles. Valve guides were shot. Too cheap to spend $1000-1200 for head rebuiding. They will run a long time burning oil.

This problem seems to be related to the poor design of the oil rings, so a long (over the weekend) Molasoak may help, for a while anyways.

Have you thought about using a bypass oil filter? With all the oil that you are burning currently, a TP bypass filter may be the best way to clean all the grey crap and black soot out of the oil while allowing you to do long OCI's. Keeping the oil as clean as possible should help reduce oil comsumption by keeping the rings from sticking.

When I used Seafoam I would put the cheapest oil I could buy. I think it would have been Advanced Auto 10w-30. In addition I removed the spark plugs and sprayed Seafoam (in the aerosol can) down the in the engine and let it soak for about an hour. During the next OCI I didn't have to add any make up oil.

If you're sure its a rings design problem, I'd replace the rings, but I'd get aftermarket rings designed to remedy the problem. I wouldn't get Isuzu rings unless you are absolutely sure that the Isuzu rings are not the same as the stock rings AND are designed to remedy the problem. And I wouldn't have the dealer install them. You can probably get it done cheaper at a competent independent shop. Its not that difficult a job. If you can get it done for under $250 by an independent shop using rings that will remedy the ring design problem, I think that's a cheap fix for your problems.

Aftermarket for Isuzu is almost non-existent.

An Isuzu tech has confirmed that the replacement rings are indeed new/redesigned.

Independent places by me charges around $75+/hr - the $250 will be gone as soon as they pop the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back