Grilling Outside, What's Your Preferred Type of Grill ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Rolla07
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Good ole Weber kettle here. Dad always used charcoal and so do I. Can't beat the flavor and it's easy to get a great sear on a steak.

I cook pretty much everything but pork shoulder or ribs. That takes skill and needs to be done slowly, and I haven't attempted it yet. But I'm pretty good at marinating and cooking steaks, chicken, fish, burgers, etc.

My Weber came with instructions on how to smoke meats at lower heat by arranging the coals around the outside. I need to try that sometime.

I don't understand people who say charcoal is too much work. You literally dump coals in and arrange in a pile, dump some starter fluid on, light it, and 20 minutes later it's ready to spread the coals out and cook.

My Weber has a feature that lets you move a lever back and forth to knock the ash down into a can, so you don't have to shovel the ash out. If you leave the lid off after cooking, the coals will just burn into ash powder.

I like Stubbs brand marinade for steaks.

Check out amazingribs.com

They have tons of weber ideas. I have smoked many pork shoulders on it. The site explains various loe snd slow methods. Excellent site if ur interested in learning more. You might stop using lighter fluid too!

^^^^

Hey John...

Here's what I do and it works really well...

Build a small fire on one side of your kettle grill... Then place a lasagna pan to the other side.. may have to fit that in... But it works.... Once fire is hot... Add a dry hickory chunks to the very peripheral edge of a charcoal briquette on the very outside edge of the fire... Place meat over top your lasagna pan... Place top on grill.. cut air openings to less than a quarter of a inch... Have a thermometer in the grill and have it closet to the fire... I have done this and maintai temps has low as 225-250°F... you will need to add unlit Kingsford Competition briquettes to the fire every 50 minutes to 1 hour... Probably 6-8 briquettes. I mention Kingsford Competition briquettes because these briquettes get up to temp quite fast and you don't lose temp with them unlike the regular Kingsford briquettes.. I have smoked beef ribs, pork ribs, spiral hams on my 22 inch Weber grill... It's really easy to do actually
smile.gif

With all this grill talk lately the wife brought home 2 lbs of 80/20 and wanted burgers and dogs for dinner. Fired up the 1986 Weber kettle and had perfect January burgers and dogs. We grill all year long. From start to finish we had them finished in an hour, just before it got dark here. We have a couple baby backs in the freezer for the weekend as well.

What is your budget? That will determine what you can buy. I have a ton of different grills and smokers because I like trying out different things.

A Weber Kettle is a pretty good cooker. If you buy a Slow n Sear accessory, you can easily smoke and sear pretty much anything. I also love the PK grills(portable kitchen) but they are limited on space. I also own a Good One Open Range and Good One Marshall which are great smokers that are easy to regulate and keep very steady temps. I also own an older Hasty Bake grill. I also have an older Weber Genesis gas grill but don't use it that much. I don't have a pellet grill and no desire for one but a lot of people love them.

There are so many options out there, you just have to decide what you want to spend and what kind of fuel source you want to use.

Big Green Egg here, but only because I won it in a local charity drawing.
The quality of the cooking experience and the versatility of the unit are second to none.
But I would never pay the $1000 they claim the thing is worth.

I love the fact that I have a BGE, but if I were buying, I'd likely get one of the Costco kamodos during the spring super sale that has been mentioned earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back