Grilling Brats

Living in the Brat Capital of the world tell me your method. Yes where I lived and grew up there is a right way and wrong and be laughed at you did certain things.
20210424_175828.jpg

Simmer them with beer and onions for a bit, but you put them in a COLD pan and let the brats and beer come up to a simmer together. Finish on the grill. Reduce the beer and onions down then add cheddar and whatever seasonings to make a beer cheese sauce with it.

Simmer them with beer and onions for a bit, but you put them in a COLD pan and let the brats and beer come up to a simmer together. Finish on the grill. Reduce the beer and onions down then add cheddar and whatever seasonings to make a beer cheese sauce with it.

If you live in the Brat Capital of the World, why are you asking us? I live near Milwaukee but that isn't Sheboygan.
I just want to see others method I need no help just curious what others do just for fun. Yes I lived and grew up in Sheboygan County all my life.

I usually simmer them (ideally Johnsonville/Sheboygan, if factory-produced brats, or a local grocery store's meat counter brats) in water for a while (10-12 min or so) and then grill to the desired doneness (just past golden brown). Beer/onions work well and certainly don't detract but I'm not convinced there's a huge difference if they're getting grilled anyway.

I also thought that boiling bratwurst was a cardinal sin in Wisconsin? You boil out the fat and the flavor leaving them dry and tasteless.

I heard from Sheboygan that you grill them right from the package, and eat them with little to no condiments since the flavor of the bratwurst is already subtle and can be easily covered up.

Reactions: GON
I also thought that boiling bratwurst was a cardinal sin in Wisconsin? You boil out the fat and the flavor leaving them dry and tasteless.

I heard from Sheboygan that you grill them right from the package, and eat them with little to no condiments since the flavor of the bratwurst is already subtle and can be easily covered up.
You are correct on boiling we could also talk about what they are served on and only one correct answer. Bonus if anyone knows the Bakery you need buns from.

Wife’s family is from Wisconsin and they bring them to a boil after poking a few holes, then simmer for an hour or so. Toss on the grill to brown. I think it dries them out a bit to boil but I’ll still eat them. I actually did half my wife’s way and the other half I tossed in the Green Mountain Grill to smoke then grilled afterwards tonight. The skin was tougher on the smoked ones but I thought they were great.
04AF015E-D084-4855-89F1-DA019DD3AAFD.jpeg

Wife’s family is from Wisconsin and they bring them to a boil after poking a few holes, then simmer for an hour or so. Toss on the grill to brown. I think it dries them out a bit to boil but I’ll still eat them. I actually did half my wife’s way and the other half I tossed in the Green Mountain Grill to smoke then grilled afterwards tonight. The skin was tougher on the smoked ones but I thought they were great. View attachment 55215
They look good.

Back