Greatest idea I have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well - you can get a Jeep Wrangler now with the Hemi 392. I have a 78 Jeep CJ7 with an LT-1 350. So...I guess I am not feeling your engine swap. It will be unique - no doubt about that!

1) how much do you want to spend on the labor or your own time? there's always opportunity cost.
2) how much fuel are you saving?
3) will your VW / Audi setup actually last that long without problem to save you that much labor and part cost?

Seriously things like this can be fun but never about saving money, it typically will never happen. Why don't you look for a Highlander and just call it a day if you want reliable and non domestic off roader?

Last edited:
I am making a list and plan on all of this. I do understand it's more than just engine mounts. No worries

You have no idea what you're getting yourself into, No small feat to turbocharge an existing NA engine/vehicle without a bolt-on kit.....You want to engine swap a FWD engine into a RWD chassis & Turbocharge it?

I did engine swaps & performance trans building almost exclusively for 15 years (Through the LSx swap bubble)....Most folks can't afford a simple LSx swap into a older 2wd Chevy/GMC truck.

Why not I once installed a small block Chevy with a Alcohol fed 671 blower in a 1960 MGA . Then there was my other project 1967 Olds 442 with a complete Tornado drive train making the 442 a rear engine monster .

Lighten up on this guys dreams ! I know no one ever did my projects so he may be the first to do his?

I’d just slap a turbo or supercharger onto a 3.6…. They take well to boost in stock form. ~360hp and ~340lb ft at the wheels of an otherwise completely stock Wrangler is respectable.

How close are the mounts and bolt patterns to a TDI?

He's planning on swapping an FWD (traverse) engine into a 4WD (longitudinal) vehicle. The driveshaft will be the least of his worries, He won't be able to use the transaxle from the donor vehicle, he'll need to retain the OEM transmission, because it will be mated to the transfer case. He'll need to rig something up to adapt the Jeep transmission to the Audi engine, the details of which I got into a bit in my post.
This illustrates the true nature of the situation.

I have to agree about that 5cyl VW sound. Sounds like a V10. Had a Audi GT coupe with the 5CYL. That was a sweet motor.

Vw Jetta 2011 2.5 - 15w40 (totaled ): ) , Vw Jetta 2014 2.0 - 15w40 , 2020 toyota camry - 20w50 , Honda odessey 2006 - 5w20, Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf E - 10w30 Motul VW 501.00 spec, still in warranty.

^^Looking at your sig I see you're a thickie (y). How come a thin W-20 in the Oddy?🤔
The odessey does not see rpms above 2,000 , so a thick oil is not a good idea in it, maybe a 5w30 or 5w40 but 5w20 has been working since brand new.

He's planning on swapping an FWD (traverse) engine into a 4WD (longitudinal) vehicle. The driveshaft will be the least of his worries, He won't be able to use the transaxle from the donor vehicle, he'll need to retain the OEM transmission, because it will be mated to the transfer case. He'll need to rig something up to adapt the Jeep transmission to the Audi engine, the details of which I got into a bit in my post.
Yep, I can only use jeep wrangler transmission, though mating it into the transmission will be a big challenge

Yep, I can only use jeep wrangler transmission, though mating it into the transmission will be a big challenge
So, on a scale from 1-10, how well would you rank your expertise, experience and history of executing projects of this nature? With 1 being you've never done an engine swap period and 10 being you've done multiple engine swaps using equipment from different OEM's, including transitions from traverse to longitudinal and vice versa?

So, on a scale from 1-10, how well would you rank your expertise, experience and history of executing projects of this nature? With 1 being you've never done an engine swap period and 10 being you've done multiple engine swaps using equipment from different OEM's, including transitions from traverse to longitudinal and vice versa?
an 8 , I put a ls1 engine into my dads old toyota sienna, couldnt do it traverse, so it was longitudinal, we had cut out the hood and the front bumper to fit this engine in, along with also making it rwd with a junk yard rear wheel drive axle.

I helped my buddy put a bmw i6 in his chevy too.

an 8 , I put a ls1 engine into my dads old toyota sienna, couldnt do it traverse, so it was longitudinal, we had cut out the hood and the front bumper to fit this engine in, along with also making it rwd with a junk yard rear wheel drive axle.

Please post some pictures of this beast.

I'd like to see pics as well, not saying it didn't happen, but this IS the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back