Drove a 3.6L Wrangler - WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
It's an impressive engine, but I'm just not sure how much of a problem it would be when it gets old and the sensors start to wear out - or how well they perform after years of off roading or sitting around.

I guess the good news is - there's so many of them being put into newer cars that finding replacement parts shouldn't be terribly hard.

The engine bay on the new 3.6L wrangler is CRAMPED! I was looking at one - even with the hood cover removed it's pretty cramped. And the alternator is mounted ahead of the engine, backwards. Not sure why.

Not a huge fan of the integrated head/manifold.

Alternator mounted high for water clearance. Also it's SUPER easy to change like it should be.

No one buys a Wrangler for fuel economy, but how does the Pentastar do fuel economy wise compared to the old 4.0L inline 6?

Our 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan is a powerful sucker with the 3.6L, but it's relatively thirsty for day to day use. We're lucky to see 18mpg tank/tank daily use.

Originally Posted By: jayg
It's an impressive engine, but I'm just not sure how much of a problem it would be when it gets old and the sensors start to wear out - or how well they perform after years of off roading or sitting around.

I guess the good news is - there's so many of them being put into newer cars that finding replacement parts shouldn't be terribly hard.

The engine bay on the new 3.6L wrangler is CRAMPED! I was looking at one - even with the hood cover removed it's pretty cramped. And the alternator is mounted ahead of the engine, backwards. Not sure why.

Alternator mounted high for water clearance. Also it's SUPER easy to change like it should be.

How difficult is it to get the thermostat out, and change plugs? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

How difficult is it to get the thermostat out, and change plugs? Thanks!

Plugs? Remove intake plenum ...

Originally Posted By: JTK
No one buys a Wrangler for fuel economy, but how does the Pentastar do fuel economy wise compared to the old 4.0L inline 6?

Our 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan is a powerful sucker with the 3.6L, but it's relatively thirsty for day to day use. We're lucky to see 18mpg tank/tank daily use.

I would imagine gas mileage would be pretty similar. Aerodynamics are still not that good.

I get 20 mpg with a 6 speed 3.73 rear and a full Kargomast cage on top.

That's driving conservatively but it's shaped like a rollerskate. Nothing you can do about that.

I get 20 mpg with a 6 speed 3.73 rear and a full Kargomast cage on top.

That's driving conservatively but it's shaped like a rollerskate. Nothing you can do about that.

Best mileage I ever got out of a Jeep was a 2004 Wrangler Rubicon 5 speed. Could get 22 out of that somehow.

Wife and I enjoy our 2012 Wrangler Unlimited very much. Vehicle just turned 30,000 miles.We just returned from moving our son to ISU and averaged 20.8 mpg. We have the auto with the towing package and limited slip. Vehicle has been problem free.

Originally Posted By: LC
Wife and I enjoy our 2012 Wrangler Unlimited very much. Vehicle just turned 30,000 miles.We just returned from moving our son to ISU and averaged 20.8 mpg. We have the auto with the towing package and limited slip. Vehicle has been problem free.

Wow, nice collection of vehicles in your stable!

I would guess the pentastar on a KJ gets about +5mpg better than older TJ with 4.0, according to folks on Wrangler forums. Most are avg low 20's on highway unless they re-geared and went to 35 tires.

Night and day difference in ride quality and comfort.

per maitnenance, looks pretty easy to change the plugs per a couple I looked at.

Reality is for a body on frame SUV with real axles, the gas mileage is not bad. BIL has a Ridgeline for reference, V6 Indepenant suspension, might get 19 oh highway ad avgs about 17 day in day out, get sick of listenig to him complain about his lousey gas mileage at family gahterings LOL. His best ripe was getting flat tire on highway with load of manure in the back LOL
smile.gif
got to shovel it out to get to spare!

I have been impressed with the pentastar in most applications I have driven. I am also not a fan of the integrated exhaust, but that engine combined with the newer transmissions really perform well.

As someone mentioned, it even makes the minivans fun.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
I would guess the pentastar on a KJ gets about +5mpg better than older TJ with 4.0, according to folks on Wrangler forums.

His best ripe was getting flat tire on highway with load of manure in the back LOL
smile.gif

The KJ never came with the Pentastar 3.6. The KJ Liberty was made from 2002-2006.

That seems to be a horrible design on the Ridgeline. The spare is under the bed? I wonder how many people have gotten flats and had to empty out all their cargo.
crazy.gif

I meant JK, as Jeep guy you should know that LOL. Wife wants a JK Unlmited so doing some research. Sucks they are selling 20K units of these things a month, so no deals.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: VNTS
I would guess the pentastar on a KJ gets about +5mpg better than older TJ with 4.0, according to folks on Wrangler forums.

His best ripe was getting flat tire on highway with load of manure in the back LOL
smile.gif

The KJ never came with the Pentastar 3.6. The KJ Liberty was made from 2002-2006.

That seems to be a horrible design on the Ridgeline. The spare is under the bed? I wonder how many people have gotten flats and had to empty out all their cargo.
crazy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back