Greatest Generation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may not be a topic for this forum, but I would like to take a moment to remember those of the "Greatest Generation". My family lost its cornerstone last night as our PawPaw left us. He was a survivor of the Great Depression, WWII veteran (D-Day), Korea and father/grandfather/great-grandfather. He cleared his land with an axe and a mule before he could afford a tractor to use on the farm. He returned home from WWII and saved his money to buy a pick-up truck that he drove back and forth to work. That 1953 Chevrolet truck is still setting in the same shed he built for it when he bought the truck. It is the only truck he ever owned.

I can't help but reflect on the things he was able to achieve in his 86 years. He had minimal education, but a wonderful "can do" attitude. He never expected anyone to give him anything (including the Government), but was willing to lend a hand to anyone in need.

I am sure that many members of BITOG have friends and relatives cut from the same cloth. The people who really built this country during the 20th century are leaving us fast. I can't help but wonder if our generations and future generations will be up to the task.

As the New Year approaches, I would like to remind everyone to express their appreciation to those "Senior" members of our society that are leaving us so quickly and to whom we all owe a debt of gratitude for leaving our country in better shape than they inherited it.
smile.gif

Great post. Those Sr. folks are part of us, no matter how different we are. Something changed hugely in the 50's/60's/70's - just a whole bunch more people now want everything handed to them. How many people now are willing to make a sacrifice as your PawPaw did?

Sorry to hear of your loss. G0D bless.

NewGuy,
sorry to hear of your loss.

I think you are pretty well on the mark with "greatest generation".

Without them, there would have been no hydro schemes, no infrastructure

NewGuy: Thanks for sharing. My Dad was of that generation and from that same mold. They were special for sure. Here's to your PawPay, my Dad, and the rest of that generation.
cheers.gif

I know your pain, and wish you and your family the best.

I lost my grandfather (also called pawpaw) on July 2nd 2003. We layed him to rest on Juty 4th, very fitting for him. He was a very patriotic man, WWII veteran (also D-Day/ Army).

He honestly was the best man I ever met. I miss him dearly each and every day. He died before he could see my daughter born, but I know he see's her every day.

There is a Brad Paisley/ Dolly Parton song: "When I get where I am going". There is a line in there about his grand-daddy. If you've heard it, you know what I am talking about. Very, very true...hits home.

Groucho/Pablo/Shannow/Johnny/Scooby - Thanks for the kind words. That generation of Americans are/were fantastic people. There are many great individual stories of their accomplishments.

Scooby - I am sorry to hear about your PawPaw as well. I know that song you mentioned and it does hit home. Thanks for reminding me of it.

For New Year's Eve, let's toast our loved ones who are gone and honor their memory in 2006 and beyond.
cheers.gif

New Guy, I wish the best to you and your family. I lost my grandfather on Sept. 5 of this year. He was a WWII vet and part of your described "greatest generation" and I couldnt agree with you more. I never called him paw paw he was just grandpa, however he was a lot like your paw paw, he broke his back and worked hard with what he had to start his business. Scooby, wierd thing happened in my situation, my grandfather was sick for a very long time but kept fighting, he passed 2 days we found out that my wife and I was expecting his first great grandchild. I am kind of saddened that he will never be able to see, or hold my daughter, but my wife has problems that was translated by doctors that IF she was able to concieve it would be a very difficult pregnancy and all is well with my wife and unborn daughter to date and I am looking forward to having a healthy baby towards the end of March. When I think of my grandpa, I cant help but feel that he is helping my daughter and my wife of a supernatural level, I know it seems ridiculous, but that just the way I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back