Great Value Milk

I know milk suppliers vary by region, but my wife says the taste of Great Value (Walmart) milk is "vastly inferior" to any other store brand. As a result, she refuses to drink it.

Unfortunately, I cannot fully verify her complaint - to me it tastes "similar" to other brands. Does anyone else find Great Value milk to be "inferior" to other options?

Last edited:
I don't buy Great Value milk, nor do I even know where to get it. However, over the years I have, at times, been able to taste the difference between similar dairy products, so it's not surprising that your wife may be able to taste a difference and has also developed a preference for the tastes she finds acceptable.

Sweetie had definite dairy preferences which was interesting because she didn't have much of a palate for most anything else.

I know milk suppliers vary by region, but my wife claims that the taste of Great Value milk is "vastly inferior" to any other store brand. As a result, she refuses to drink it.

Unfortunately, I cannot fully verify her complaint - to me it tastes "similar" to other brands. Does anyone else find Great Value milk to be "inferior" to other options?
I don’t drink milk. However, my wife does and says the same thing. It could be suppliers or it could be because, the milk sits out too long before being refrigerated. Walmart. 😡 Don’t get me started on that horrendous place.

My bride and some of the kids say the same thing.

I swear if I poured it in a Wegmans, Trader Joe's or other name brand bottle, they'd love it.

To me It does seem to be watered down a bit in whole and 2% variants, but the ingredients only say milk.

It's good stuff, comes from
Supertech.jpg
Cows.jpg

This is a bash thread without merit. Some of the Great Value milk might be the same as another local chain gets.

There are plant codes on milk. The milk goes from reefer trailer to store and there is a milk cave which is loaded from behind. This isn't like the occasional doofus with a pallet of frozen food that takes an hour before its all stocked.

I wouldn't worry about independently verifying her concerns. Buy the milk she likes and move on. Price difference is probably not the great. This comes from a guy who has survived 51 years of marriage.

I happen to buy Great Value milk because it is cheapest, keeps longest, and comes from a liquid milk plant less than 30 miles from my store. A dairy code from the GV milk in your area may be revealing, or maybe not.

the source of the milk I.E. the dairy chain can easily be found

on the container will be a registry code number, you can find the dairy company on this list

In Canada most Great Value Milk is Parmalait, a premium brand

their "cheap" ice cream is actually Chapmans, note the 1023 registration number just above the bar code

the truth is all they do is switch labels

the USFDA has an identical system

Great value milk gives me the "bubble guts" more than any other milk.. It's taste is mediocre at best.
Yea- what somebody else said. You need to look towards lactose intolerance. It's something that creeps up on you gradually sometimes even if you have no history.

Weird dairy situation while living with my SIL at the moment. Wife isn't lactose intolerant but prefers the taste of Krogers $3.39 a 1/2 gallon lactose free milk, chocolate almond milk and expensive eggs. SIL and her kid drink Great Value milk and that is my SIL coffee creamer, which sucks BTW-I only like black coffee.

IMG_2995.JPG

This is a bash thread without merit. Some of the Great Value milk might be the same as another local chain gets.

There are plant codes on milk. The milk goes from reefer trailer to store and there is a milk cave which is loaded from behind. This isn't like the occasional doofus with a pallet of frozen food that takes an hour before its all stocked.
exactly,

how do I know this?

I inspect the plants for a living.....................................

Try plugging the code on the jug (e.g., 27-353) into this site. It'll tell you exactly which plant your milk came from.
Doing that for the national brand and store brand at a given store tends to show they were often produced at the same plant.

I worked in a dairy department of a large chain supermarket during high school. Our name brand and store brand milk (in addition to the sub-store-brand milk from the extra value line) came in the same jugs with the same code on it. I'd be willing to bet it's the same thing. Occasionally they'd mix up jugs such that there'd be a store brand jug with the name brand ones or vice versa (probably the start or end of a run). Also, sometimes labeling was mixed up so there'd be a store brand label with a name brand color cap or vice versa.

http://www.whereismymilkfrom.com/finding-my-code

Back