Great post about TBN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why high TBN and TBN/TAN crossover don't matter much. Throw this in with the 4-ball wear test. Marketing.

From Weasley:

"I'd hazard a guess that many BITOGers who think they know what TBN is, probably know only the basics and possibly not enough to actually know how to interpret VOA/UOAs.

TBN is not TBN. Yes, yes, we all know that it is the measure of an oil's alkaline reserve, which is used to neutralise acids and protect the engine. But there are various sources of TBN, and it isn't all freely available to do acid neutralisation.

TBN typically comes from:

1) Detergents
In fact the TBN contribution of detergents is, itself, in two parts. There's the natural TBN of the detergent molecule itself, typically quite low (up to around 25 mgKOH/g). But there's also the main TBN contributor, the so-called "overbasing". This is typically calcium carbonate which is 'dispersed' throughout the detergents as "micelles". Since CaCO3 is not oil-soluble, it has to be carried around in the oil by the detergents molecules. Overbased detergents are in the region 200-400 mgKOH/g.

2) Dispersants
Dispersants, dependent on their type, can contribute a reasonable level of TBN. However this TBN is "ashless", in other words no metal salts but all from organic molecules. This kind of TBN is not as ready to neutralise acids as the overbasing above.

3) Antioxidants
These are used in small amounts, but can have high individual TBNs. Again they are ashless and not highly neutralising.

Furthermore, some types of TBN react only with stronger acids (mineral acids derived from combustion of sulphur and nitrogen compounds in air) and not with weaker ones (organic acids derived from oxidation of the base oil and other components). So the type of TBN is as important as the amount.

Next there's how to measure it. There are several TBN measuring techniques. The typically-used one in motor oil is by potentiometric titration, almost always by automatic titrators. However, the specific methods used to get a TBN number differ depending on the material you are testing.

Here's the rub: fresh/virgin oil TBN is measured by ASTM D2896, which is quite an aggressive method that titrates almost all of the alkaline material, thus giving a relatively high result. However, used oil TBN is almost always done by ASTM D4739, which is less aggressive and doesn't titrate all alkaline materials, particularly the less-reactive stuff. If you run these two TBN methods on the same sample of oil, you will get two different results - which one is right?

In order to make a meaningful conclusion you need to use the same method for all samples, so you need to make sure you get a VOA at the start of your oil monitoring period, and not just rely on a technical data sheet for the start point.

You also have to realise that there may be some TBN you will never 'get at', so a residual TBN may always show up in a used oil, regardless of how used it is.

Finally, a particular bug-bear of mine, is this notion that TAN/TBN crossover is a reliable end point. TAN and TBN numbers are not linked on a see-saw and the numbers from the tests are almost arbitrary. There's no magical 'switch' from good to bad at this cross-over point; the oil doesn't suddenly change from being alkaline to acidic. It is, for sure, a handy and easy-to-explain point which, in the absence of any other data, may as well be used, but you have to take an holistic approach to UOA and look at factors like wear metals and viscosity to see whether the oil's TBN reserve is exhausted.

So, back to the original question - since TBN is not any kind of proxy for quality or performance, there's no benefit to putting it on the label. Total performance of the oil is conveyed in the performance specifications (API, ACEA, OEM etc)."

Hmmm....

If I'm not mistaken, this is being quoted directly from The World According To Infineum. Some of this is obvious and I can agree with (various sources of TBN) but a lot of this stuff about weak acids and strong acids reacting this way and that way, I just regard as made-up techno-marketing drivel. It's a speech that more than one Infineum-type has inflicted on me and the story always follows exactly the same script. Usually it's associated with another mind-numbing monologue about why 'slow depletion' Salicylates are SOOOOOO fantastic when in fact they're simply average (something they themselves have proven on the IIIG!).

Give me a cheap 400 TBN Magnesium Sulphonate any day (as long as it's not that unfiltered garbage from Italy).

Originally Posted By: buster
Furthermore, some types of TBN react only with stronger acids (mineral acids derived from combustion of sulphur and nitrogen compounds in air) and not with weaker ones (organic acids derived from oxidation of the base oil and other components). So the type of TBN is as important as the amount.

There's no such thing as "types of TBN". TBN is the number you get from running a TBN determination method, though there is more than one method. Compounds contributing to total base number is what is meant, so that should be what is said.

The rest of it seems to make sense, but:

Originally Posted By: buster

since TBN is not any kind of proxy for quality or performance, there's no benefit to putting it on the label. Total performance of the oil is conveyed in the performance specifications (API, ACEA, OEM etc)."

While this is true, and could be said with equal or greater truth of any other parameter measured in a UOA, you can't do a test of deviation from API, ACEA etc in a test tube. TBN is a practical test that gives some usable information on oil condition.

Last edited:
Tbn scale with sulfate ash . The lower the zulfur in fuel and the lower the suflate ash the lower the Tbn need (up to a point)
This Detroit diesel did it this way for their two stroke and marine engine.yes its dated but the basic idea doesn't change a lot

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Hmmm....

If I'm not mistaken, this is being quoted directly from The World According To Infineum. Some of this is obvious and I can agree with (various sources of TBN) but a lot of this stuff about weak acids and strong acids reacting this way and that way, I just regard as made-up techno-marketing drivel. It's a speech that more than one Infineum-type has inflicted on me and the story always follows exactly the same script. Usually it's associated with another mind-numbing monologue about why 'slow depletion' Salicylates are SOOOOOO fantastic when in fact they're simply average (something they themselves have proven on the IIIG!).

Give me a cheap 400 TBN Magnesium Sulphonate any day (as long as it's not that unfiltered garbage from Italy).

You are mistaken. It was written off-the-cuff; if it matches anything that Infineum say then this is coincidental. It is based on my own formulating experience (using components from various sources including Infineum, Ethyl - as they were at the time - and others), and assessing their contribution to various performance aspects, including TBN and depletion rates.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
There's no such thing as "types of TBN". TBN is the number you get from running a TBN determination method, though there is more than one method. Compounds contributing to total base number is what is meant, so that should be what is said.

Fair enough. "Sources of TBN" was the intended meaning, which is how it looks like you have interpreted it.

As an aside, quite a few years ago there was a movement who opined against the term "total base number", given that different methods give different numbers for the same substance so how could they all be "total" base number? It doesn't seem to have stuck though, so the method used is an important part of any discussion on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back