Great movies we remember and love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducked
True Grit

Quote:
Rooster Cogburn: We'll sleep here and follow in the morning.
Mattie Ross: But we promised to bury the poor soul inside!
Rooster Cogburn: Ground's too hard. If them men wanted a decent burial, they should have gotten themselves killed in summer.

Not trolling at all.
Movies that I don't think are very good others love.
I said Casablanca is one of my favorites.
Others:
Jaws
King Kong -original
Shawshank
Any Bogart films
Just my opinion friend

Something more on the light but enjoyable side.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou ?
The Castle

Last edited:
The Third Man

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins. Leave death to the professionals"

Good trick if you can do it.

NOTE: It was cut a lot for US release (too complicated). Worth trying to see the original.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Napolean Dynamite!!

That movie is like a car wreck....terrible, but you can't look away...

2001: A Space Odyssey
The Magnificent Seven
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Empire Strikes Back
Grand Prix
Jaws
Alien
Aliens
The Shining
L.A. Confidential
The Right Stuff
The Martian

Lighter fare:

Slap Shot
My Cousin Vinny
Groundhog Day
The Gumball Rally
Tombstone
The Quick and the Dead
Just Friends
Sixteen Candles
John Wick

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

The Magnificent Seven

Purleeze!

7 Samurai

Go to the source. Sometimes a remake is better (cf True Grit) but it isn't usually the way to bet.

Last edited:
^^^^ YES! Like "The Tall Blond Man With One Black Shoe"

I'm in a different theater than most here...being older and a movie junkie since the mid-60s

...many foreign language fun favorites (since most listed here are of the fun kind) such as TTBMWOBS, all the Jacques Tati near-silent satires of modern life (I think he made just 5 or 6 feature-length movies in his lifetime...ALL about ONE character, "Monsieur Hulot") and the 10 Juzo Itami movies in Japan (leading to his "suicide"...murder more likely...at the hands of the Yakuza) and other comedies going all the way back to the silents, all of Buster Keaton's, his shorts and features....

...But other genres: US 1930s comedies...film noir of the 40s....social realism from Italy and Japan (not just a samurai nation)....the psycho-dramas of Ingmar Bergman (a genre of his own!).

...and just for fun, back to foreign language films, I'd recommend a kind of oddly styled German film that I think people here would like...Run Lola Run.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
^^^^ YES! Like "The Tall Blond Man With One Black Shoe"

Huh, that reminds me of The man with one red shoe, with Tom Hanks. And Carrie Fisher and James Belushi, and a few others.

Can't believe these haven't been listed yet:

A Christmas Story
Christmas Vacation
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Weird Science
Breakfast Club
Red Dawn (the original one)
Goodfellas

and....
The Lord of the Rings trilogy (one of my all time favorites)

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
The Magnificent Seven

Purleeze!

7 Samurai

Go to the source. Sometimes a remake is better (cf True Grit) but it isn't usually the way to bet.

My younger self, the one who saw The Magnificent Seven on TV about 40 years ago and has loved it ever since, would disagree with you, but thanks for your unsolicited input on my tastes in cinematic entertainment.

I watched "A Man for All Seasons", Academy Award Best Picture 1966, last night, and liked it. Great photography, great acting, great costumes, and a true story of someone willing to lose their head for principle. Not common, then or now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back