Grease recommendation vs lucas xtra

I am an off-road guy with numerous jeeps and ATVs. These opperate in very harsh conditions, frequently submerged in mud, water and dirt in high strain situations. I have used Lucas Xtra for years in these applications with very good life of ujoints, tres and ball joints.

However Lucas Xtra is no longer easily available. For a about the past year it's been out of stock everywhere. I did contact Lucas and they said they are still making it, just not as much as they used to.

What I like about it is it's sheer stable and **** near water proof.

What are some good alternatives that people have had good success with?
Yesterday (03/08/2024) I called Lucas and had a nice conversation with the head technical service guy. He told me there are a couple key ingredients in green HD grease they have not been able to get for over 2 years and now all stock everywhere has been used up. He said the ingredients SHOULD be available by mid summer and once they have them all shifts will be working OT to get it produced and shipped. He said they hope to start seeing it back in stores August/ September 2024.

As for Red-n-tacky, he said no problems there and recommended it as a substitute for their green.

IMPORTANT NOTE: He said their green is a "Polyurea" based grease and IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ANY GREASE THAT IS NOT ALSO POLYUREA.

Also important, he said most other companies green grease is NOT Polyurea, so not compatible.

His recommendation is if you can not find another Polyurea grease then you need to purge as much of it out of your components as possible with your new choice of grease.

I plan to pump in red/tacky until I feel like most of the green is gone. Then I'm going to be re-greasing every few thousand miles with just a couple pumps to help get the green out. A real shame because I really like the green but can't wait 6 months, and I'll probably never go back because it is to much trouble.

Schaeffers. 229,238,221,274,219 will all work well here.
The Lucas green is a Polyurea base and is ONLY compatible with other Polyurea based grease. I don't know about the other Schaeffer grease but 219 is NOT Polyurea based so it is definitely NOT compatible.

Date now 03/28/2024)

About 2-3 weeks ago I called the Lucas factory directly and was connected with one of their senior customer service people. I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with him.

This is what I was told:
*Lucas has been unable to source a key ingredient for the green Xtra HD grease for 2+ years and as far as he knows there is no remaining stock at any wholesale or retail location.

*Lucas has secured a supply now and will be back in production, "Hopefully mid summer 2024" and you should start seeing product on store shelves, "Hopefully late summer 2024". So.... maybe by the end of the year, unless the stuff is imported and happens to come in through the Port of Baltimore in which case who knows when they will get it...

*This is a Polyurea based grease and absoutly IS NOT COMPATIBLE with ANY OTHER FORMULATION of grease. PERIOD. In short, if it is not Polyurea based it is not compatible.

*I asked exactly what, "Not compatible" means. I was told that the 2 greases will basically fight each other with the end result that neither will be able to provide that thin protective barrier layer that is so important and you will absolutely get serious premature wear from the parts.

*He recommends to seek other manufacturers that produce a Polyurea based grease if possible. If not, he recommends the Lucas red-n-tacky.

*He said that in any instance of moving away from the Polyurea based grease you should, "Thoroughly purge" the Polyurea grease out of any location.

*To purge the grease you need to pump in your new grease until you get a steady overflow of the new grease. Operate the equipment a short time to allow any remaining grease to "mix" with the new, and purge again. Me personally I plan to do the purge thing 3 times because these parts are not cheap and are not easy or inexpensive to change.

I hope this helps.

Back