Grease recommendation vs lucas xtra

I am an off-road guy with numerous jeeps and ATVs. These opperate in very harsh conditions, frequently submerged in mud, water and dirt in high strain situations. I have used Lucas Xtra for years in these applications with very good life of ujoints, tres and ball joints.

However Lucas Xtra is no longer easily available. For a about the past year it's been out of stock everywhere. I did contact Lucas and they said they are still making it, just not as much as they used to.

What I like about it is it's sheer stable and **** near water proof.

What are some good alternatives that people have had good success with?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230529_082026_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230529_082026_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 91
I've used mobil 1 syn grease and it's great stuff. Resists water well. But I've never used luxas xtra just the red and tacky so i don't know how good that is but the red and tacky is good too. The m1 syn grease is what i use in electric motors and it lasts longer before starting to make noise again.

Lucas xtra is a polyurea grease. Comparable greases would be Philips Polytac EP 2, Chevron Black Pearl grease, John Deere SD Polyurea. Those would be the most common brands but there are others. Finding any polyurea grease right now is hard. Your best bet might be to get on ebay and find someone selling a case of 10 tubes.

The issue from what I understand is Chemtool made most of the polyurea grease in north America. Since the plant fire a couple years ago finding polyurea grease has been hard. I assume someone else has started making it since then but I don't know for sure. @Foxtrot08 is the expert on the subject and knows far more than I do.

Do you have a farm store near by? I’ve recently switched over to Mystik grease. I like it but I use the red n tacky version for my mower, truck and travel trailer.

Just my $0.02
I tried their hi temp several years ago but it washes out pretty easy. Maybe I'll try the marine
Lucas xtra is a polyurea grease. Comparable greases would be Philips Polytac EP 2, Chevron Black Pearl grease, John Deere SD Polyurea. Those would be the most common brands but there are others. Finding any polyurea grease right now is hard. Your best bet might be to get on ebay and find someone selling a case of 10 tubes.

The issue from what I understand is Chemtool made most of the polyurea grease in north America. Since the plant fire a couple years ago finding polyurea grease has been hard. I assume someone else has started making it since then but I don't know for sure. @Foxtrot08 is the expert on the subject and knows far more than I do.
Thanks! i wondered why this was so hard to find. This is great info. I was also worried about mixing it with something else.

EP polyurea greases are pretty much extinct right now. You have some smaller brands producing a trace amount of them. But unknown quality to me.

EM (for electric motors) are becoming pretty available. HPL even makes a good one.

But your EP polyurea, that you’re looking for is basically extinct. I would recommend switching over to a lithium EP grease right now. There’s some plans for some EP polyurea grease in the future, but it’s not going to be soon.

Anything that’s out there is basically new old stock. I do believe JD has a tiny bit trickling in from a new supplier. But it’s not super widely available yet.

I am an off-road guy with numerous jeeps and ATVs. These opperate in very harsh conditions, frequently submerged in mud, water and dirt in high strain situations. I have used Lucas Xtra for years in these applications with very good life of ujoints, tres and ball joints.

However Lucas Xtra is no longer easily available. For a about the past year it's been out of stock everywhere. I did contact Lucas and they said they are still making it, just not as much as they used to.

What I like about it is it's sheer stable and **** near water proof.

What are some good alternatives that people have had good success with?
Hi, i just order 2 from o'reilly auto part $9 each. It is free shipping with $35 purchase.

EP polyurea greases are pretty much extinct right now. You have some smaller brands producing a trace amount of them. But unknown quality to me.

EM (for electric motors) are becoming pretty available. HPL even makes a good one.

But your EP polyurea, that you’re looking for is basically extinct. I would recommend switching over to a lithium EP grease right now. There’s some plans for some EP polyurea grease in the future, but it’s not going to be soon.

Anything that’s out there is basically new old stock. I do believe JD has a tiny bit trickling in from a new supplier. But it’s not super widely available yet.
switching isn't quite that easy. wheel bearings alone i would be tearing apart, cleaning and repacking 30. let alone ujoints or ball joints and TREs that all i can do is purge.

switching isn't quite that easy. wheel bearings alone i would be tearing apart, cleaning and repacking 30. let alone ujoints or ball joints and TREs that all i can do is purge.

Of course. That’s a completely separate thread for me. As I’ve been dealing with that now for about 3 years at this point, lol.

Is there a PDS available?
All I got was this from a kubota parts dealer:
Premium Polyurea thickened, NLGI 2, GC-LB rated extreme pressure grease. Designed for use in agricultural,
construction, automotive, recreational and industrial applications.

• Superior rust and corrosion protection
  • Excellent resistance to water wash out
  • Compatible with most other greases (shear stable)
  • Outstanding high temperature stability for long service life
  • Operating temperature range -15°F to +380°F

So it’s a shear stable polyurea, EP2 that’s GC-LB. It’s a wide box still but a pretty good one.

a Case of 10 from O'Reilly's for 90 shipped to my door, ordered Saturday, shower up Tuesday... In case anyone else is in need, might be a good place to check.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 20230606_204845.jpg
    20230606_204845.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 16
Why switch to Lithium instead of Calcium?

In general, more options.

So for example, if you’re using an EM polyurea, there are full synthetic lithium EM greases that are suitable for use - where there isn’t in calcium.

For your 0/00 full synthetic trailer hub polyurea grease - there’s a lithium equivalent.

Theres far more options in general of lithium grease than calcium’s.

The transition from polyurea to lithium is also a little easier, just in case you can’t get a full clean out, from my experience.

Back