Grease on an 06 Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only have two grease nipples on my truck. The tie rod ends. What I want to know is if there is any benefit to jacking the front end of the truck off the ground before I grease.
Thanks
canada.gif

Other than being able to fit under the truck easier there is no benefit.

No, there is three. I am not that lucky. The third one is in the Cardan joint on the front driveshaft. Very irritating to accomodate.

D-Roc, the Cardan joint is irritating. I can't figure out how to tell if any of the grease is actually going into the fitting. I'm using a tool with a conical tip, but it makes one heck of a mess. How can I tell if grease is getting into the joint? Is there a place I can look for it to ooze out of?
Thanks in advance, Ted

I've heard of people using a 'needle tip' to grease a hole in the front driveshaft, but my 2003 owner's manual (2500 4x4 diesel) nor the shop manual mentions doing so. Maybe the later trucks are different

Quote:

I've heard of people using a 'needle tip' to grease a hole in the front driveshaft, but my 2003 owner's manual (2500 4x4 diesel) nor the shop manual mentions doing so. Maybe the later trucks are different

On the 03, 04, and some 05s there are only two fittings...one on each tierod end (in the 4wds anyhow)...

On the 05+, there is a "pocket" for lack of a better term for greasing the ball and socket of the cardan joint (not the ujoints), as well as the two on the tierod ends. There will be a sticker on the core support telling you to grease the driveshaft if you have the "fitting"...it does require a longer (than typical) greese needle and a lot of time to locate the fitting.

For you 3rd gen dodge 2500/3500 owners, expect to replace EVERY ujoint by 75k...I have repalced every one in my 04.5 by 72k...the OE AAM joints will eventually sieze. It will start with a squeeking (driveshaft joints) or wobbling while turning (axle joints)...

steved

Ted, if you're making a mess, then the grease isn't going in... just like a zerk fitting. It should start oozing out the seals.

The load on the tierod ends doesn't change significantly when you jack up the front of the truck. Just try and park the truck with the steering centered in the neutral position and it'll be fine.

On balljoints (if equipped) I grease the lowers with the vehicle on the ground then jack up and grease the tops.

With king pins I grease both with and without a load. With/without to make sure all sides of the bushing has fresh grease around it. With a load to make sure that grease if forced up through the bearing and not between the spindle and bearing.

On smaller drivelines such as found in pickups I prefer non greaseable u-joints because they are stronger. I just replace them with good quality u-joints every couple of years. U-joints are not that expensive and it doesn't take long to change them, so every couple of years is cheap insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back