I mixed Polyurea with Lithium Grease

So I was using Lucas Extra Heavy Grease for my trucks suspension and steering components. As you might know it's become very hard to get. I made a error of thinking that a Lithium was compatible with it but I know better now.

I greased the truck once with the lithium grease in 5 places, two bushing and 3 tie rod ends. The bushings I'm not very concered with. I can just purge with lots of the lithium grease but not sure what to do about the TRE's? I don't want to damage the boots. They were pretty expensive (APEX) TRE's.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

What tends to happen is the oil drops out of the thickener. It isn't necessarily incompatible as some don't do that. Being on a ball joint it isn't the end of the world. Just give it a pump every oil change and don't worry about it. You maybe knocked 10 miles off its life.

Grease_Compatibility_Chart.jpg

Lucas is shear stable Poly I used it on my tractor and rake and baler etc. Till I couldn't find it and the stores I used to buy it at and went to red Lithium grease.

The Lucas poly grease is compatible with the Lithium base .
That’s what I had read somewhere which led me to do what I did but then I saw this posted today:

Yesterday (03/08/2024) I called Lucas and had a nice conversation with the head technical service guy. He told me there are a couple key ingredients in green HD grease they have not been able to get for over 2 years and now all stock everywhere has been used up. He said the ingredients SHOULD be available by mid summer and once they have them all shifts will be working OT to get it produced and shipped. He said they hope to start seeing it back in stores August/ September 2024.

As for Red-n-tacky, he said no problems there and recommended it as a substitute for their green.

IMPORTANT NOTE: He said their green is a "Polyurea" based grease and IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ANY GREASE THAT IS NOT ALSO POLYUREA.

Polyurea and shear stable polyurea are not the same. You did NOT mix lithium with polyurea. That Lucas grease is a shear stable polyurea. You won't have a problem.

I emailed Lucas if their Xtra Heavy polyurea was conventional or shear stable and just got the reply today that it is conventional.
That’s two people that I’ve heard emailed them and got the same result meaning that this grease is not compatible with other greases as most people are stating. Do I have this correct?

Polyurea and shear stable polyurea are not the same. You did NOT mix lithium with polyurea. That Lucas grease is a shear stable polyurea. You won't have a problem.
My mistake on this one, it is not a. shear stable polyurea. It would be best to flush out as much of the old grease as possible.

Back