grease gun problems

what next- another weird problem?
my grease gun (a big lever operated one) does not this year want to suck the grease into the pump piston. seems the grease is too thick or too viscous or maybe too dry, . kept in grage been 55 degrees at night, not used in a year.
its almost like the grease has semi solidifies.
Its evinrude johnson tripple guard grease stuff that the yamaha dealer uses on motors and on trailer wheel bearings (they were a johnson dealer since the 50s) and they use only this grease, which is a little sttiff I agree but not like this .
does grease dry out? I was sick a while back maybe grease is older than I think.
I may let the gun lay in the sun tomorrow to see if it "melts" just a little. Failing that- what- replace the "slide in cartridge?) that goes in the gun. or try to switch to a softer grease. First time this problem in 10 years

I've had this trouble for years but recently, while trying to make it work with a new tube, I took a big gob of grease and put it top of head. Of course when I screwed it on quite a bit squeezed out but the gun worked! Used this tube up and did same with a new tube and that one works. Maybe this method prevents the air lock...at least I hope so.

I say the grease is either COLD or OLD.

I have had this happen also.

Might have to toss it and get a new tube. Been there done that!

had the same trouble with my grease gun I had for years...started acting up ..I tried everything to get it to work again...got so frustrated that I went to my local Walmart and bought the cheapest gun they had, the kind you put a grease cartridge in...has been working fantastic for several years now....maybe cheap is the way to go ….lol

thanks. I let it sit in warm sun and its fine now. problem was grease- several years old. I will clean it out this summer , get a new cartridge and if needed buy a new gun.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Mystic markets the small tubes in several grades of grease.

B0D224AB-9658-47D2-A6C9-91DCBF6FA339.jpeg

Yes … have purchased Mystik JT6 in 3 ounce three packs to carry in a truck box …
It has never separated in hot storage like that …

I have found that lever type grease guns are much happier if stored with the handle away from the body rather than collapsed against it.

Back