Grease for boat trailer bearings in saltwater - good plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a new boat trailer that came pre-packed with Texaco Starplex Moly MPGM2,

"consist of a lithium complex soap thickened, multipurpose, extreme pressure (EP) greases compounded with a highly refined ISO 320 viscosity grade paraffinic base oil. Starplex Moly MPGM 1 and 2 contain 3% moly by weight. These greases are characterized by their high dropping points (above 450'F) and are formulated with a special additive package to provide superior rust protection and resistance to water washout. A special tackifier helps keep Starplex Moly in place on high speed machinery and in wet conditions. Starplex Moly greases have been engineered with good pumpability characteristics making them ideal for centralized lubrication systems."

After doing the research in the archives here I gather I would be better served by an aluminum based grease since the bearing are going to be dunked in saltwater twice a day, 2-3 times a week and the ambient temperature can be from the 20˚F up to the high 90's.

I see Schaeffer Greases highly recommended, particularly # 274 & 238 in the aluminums, but which would be better for my application?

Also, as far as compatibility between the new grease and what's in there now, I see aluminum is compatible with everything except Benton based greases. I have Dexter type axles so can I just purge the old grease out by pumping in the new grease or do I need to completely tear down the axels before putting in the aluminum based grease?

Or, should I keep using the Texaco stuff? It's on the manufacturers approved list whereas the Schaeffer is not.

Thanks, Rob

You can use schaeffers grease where lith is with no problem. You will eventually purge out all of the lith and have nothing more than alum comp grease.

as for moly, it is an additive, not a complex, so it will wash out the the lith when it does. moly will help for a while longer but will not Stay on there.

I would use the 221 grease up in new york.
lith grease will wash out. take a hot wheel bearing from a boat trailer and back it into a cold water like a lake or river and what will water do? it goes into the bearing. then you mix water with the grease when you pull it out.

take some starplex grease and put a dab in the palm of your hand. now put some water on it and mix the grease and water and watch how it will change color and water mixes with the grease. what don't you want with grease on metal surfaces? water as it will cause corrosion and pitting.
don't be fooled when the say it has excellent water wash out it means if it isn't mixed with the grease and will put the water off if you just put water on and then off the grease. schaeffers says it is waterproof, not excellent water washout.

hope that answers your question.

I was just trying to make sense of Schaeffers line-up and it seems to me that 274 might be preferable since it's synthetic.

But the big problem is buying the stuff. I called Schaeffer and it's only sold by the case (30 tubes), I called a couple of sales reps and either they don't carry it or they want to sell a case.

Can't seem to find a place that will sell me 6 tubes.

I agree that aluminum is the way to go, I just may have to find another brand.

Thanks, Rob

You don't use Bearing Buddies with Dexter type axels, but thanks for the advice. I have them on my older trailer, they served me well for 20 years. Just pumped them full of whatever was in the gun at the time, never even repacked them.

Now I know better and would like to use the right grease from the start with the new trailer.

The hardest part is finding the stuff.

Thanks, Rob

BOB is correct as Schaeffers ,say EP 800 is one of the very best greases on the market,and your choice,beat this grease up in its parameters,,BL

Steve,

With normal bearings and bearing buddies, grease gets pumped in the front until no more can go in and is kept under pressure by the bearing to force more in as it leaks out. Apparently you should repack bearings annually by tearing them down.

With Dexter types the grease gets pumped in the front goes through te spindle to the inner bearings, then back around to the front. the grease moves from front to back then back front by a different route so the grease can be completely purged and replaced without full teardown.

This is my first trailer with them but from what I read they're very good. It's recommended to tear them down every 12000m anyway.

Here's a diagram.

-

quote:

Actually a Calcium Sulfonate will be better as far as rust inhibiting and wash out goes.
bruce

which probably explains why it is usually used as boat trailer bearing grease
wink.gif

I used a calcium sulfonate base grease on SWMBO's horse float (trailer in NA) as it's not used every day, and has to go through a river if it travels from the barn/stables to our house. The bearings weren't surviving with the li/comp grease the local garage packed them with,(corrosion) and I even had problems with the syn li/comp Neo grease I used to use.

Just to clarify so nobody gets confused-
There is no such thing as a "Dexter type axle". Dexter is a brand name and they make several type of axles all lubed in different ways....some you can pump the grease in, some you can't, they also make oil bath axles and sealed Nev-R-Lube axles.
Many manufacturers make an axle lubed like the one above incorrectly referred to as a "Dexter type axle".

quote:

Originally posted by Vstrom:
Just to clarify so nobody gets confused-
There is no such thing as a "Dexter type axle". Dexter is a brand name and they make several type of axles all lubed in different ways....some you can pump the grease in, some you can't, they also make oil bath axles and sealed Nev-R-Lube axles.
Many manufacturers make an axle lubed like the one above incorrectly referred to as a "Dexter type axle".

It's called EZ-lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back