Grease for boat trailer bearings in saltwater - good plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:

quote:

Actually a Calcium Sulfonate will be better as far as rust inhibiting and wash out goes.
bruce

which probably explains why it is usually used as boat trailer bearing grease
wink.gif

I used a calcium sulfonate base grease on SWMBO's horse float (trailer in NA) as it's not used every day, and has to go through a river if it travels from the barn/stables to our house. The bearings weren't surviving with the li/comp grease the local garage packed them with,(corrosion) and I even had problems with the syn li/comp Neo grease I used to use.

I used Ca sulfonate for some time and noticed that it would soften a lot with use. I have trailer disc brakes though.
Now, I tried Mystic Hi Temp grease that Dexter recommends. Will see.

All the research I did and charts I looked at said ACG is compatible with most everything EXCEPT clay based greases, which seem to be compatible with almost nothing else.

alum is compatible with any grease except a clay base. you do not have to clean out bearings full of lith grease. on calcuim grease you find it is not as avail and I dont know for sure but I think it is not compatible with lith. most greases can be put in bearings but have to watch closely and repumped in if they are not compatible. after awhile, lith will not be in there and what ever grease you use will be. I would not suggest other greases over lith but is watched real close they can be applied over other greases.

you can get alum greases, one is staylube I believe it is called at any parts house.

go to this post in order to see about greases.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000164

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back