Grand Marquis *QUICK* startup rattle

Fords interest is #1) getting the car past the warranty period and #2) satisfying the federal government standards in fuel economy. Therefore of course they will suggest 5W20 in naturally aspirated applications when they think they can get away with it. On turbo applications they say 5W30 when it probably should be like a Euro 5W40.

On a high miles engine like this one I wouldnt be putting in a 5W20 and probably wouldnt have put in a 5W20 even when new. I posted a while back about API SP rated Quaker State Euro 5W40. Its really a robust 5W30 rather then a true 5W40. It seemed to work well.

I think most 4.6's rattle a second or two on an occassional cold start. Mine does once in a while with only 42k miles on it. I just accept it and don't believe it's a 5w-20 issue. I never liked those modular V8's anyway..

Fords interest is #1) getting the car past the warranty period and #2) satisfying the federal government standards in fuel economy. Therefore of course they will suggest 5W20 in naturally aspirated applications when they think they can get away with it. On turbo applications they say 5W30 when it probably should be like a Euro 5W40.

On a high miles engine like this one I wouldnt be putting in a 5W20 and probably wouldnt have put in a 5W20 even when new. I posted a while back about API SP rated Quaker State Euro 5W40. Its really a robust 5W30 rather then a true 5W40. It seemed to work well.
You’re talking about a power train used in one of the longest used fleet vehicles built. They weren’t trying to simply get past the warranty period, OP has a better chance of losing the transmission before the startup rattle ever causes an issue that actually requires repair.

Back