Got to love some of the so called professional

So called professional mechanics on youtube. Most all of them are hap hazard hammer and chisel mechanics, especially the transmission rebuilders, really ! hard hammers on aluminum parts, tossing them around and scratching stuff, dragging a screw driver over the valve body passages etc. All that pretty much makes a careful aviation experienced mechanic sick.

Thoughts on this channel?

I like watching that channel, it’s interesting to see how everything is put together and what makes a transmission work. Assuming this is the channel OP was referring too, it’s not like he’s slamming things together with excessive force or trying to gouge the heck out of the valve bodies… if they were that sensitive/soft they would have never been used in mass produced vehicles to begin with, they simply wouldn’t last.

There are a lot of mechanics on youtube, so it's difficult to paint all of them with such a broad brush. Some of them I've seen are like you describe, and I wouldn't let them fix a plastic lawn chair, others are masters of the trade and extremely knowledgable.

The problem is not them being on the internet. The problem is how does one differentiate between those that are truly knowledgeable and those who are full of :poop: when similar words and definitions are used?

I have had some of the same thoughts when watching "professional mechanics" on YouTube. Hammering bolts into suspension mounts, forcing pistons back into calipers without regard for piston alignment, not starting spark plug threads by hand, carelessly dripping motor oil across the engine cover when it could very easily be avoided, etc. All while professing about "quality." I guess they are getting the job done...?

Thoughts on this channel?

This guy really knows transmissions, but some of his practices and techniques make me cringe. Hammering, scraping, scratching and whatnot.

Professional just means doing it for a living aka getting paid as your career/job. Doesn’t mean they are a guru and the worlds most careful person with every possible repair

I love the golden wrench attitude from people who don’t do it professionally

No ones perfect. Jesus isn’t working on vehicles. Some are much better at some things than others. Some customers want short cuts taken just to make the bill cheaper and get the vehicle back on the road.

So called professional mechanics on youtube. Most all of them are hap hazard hammer and chisel mechanics, especially the transmission rebuilders, really ! hard hammers on aluminum parts, tossing them around and scratching stuff, dragging a screw driver over the valve body passages etc. All that pretty much makes a careful aviation experienced mechanic sick.

Lets name some names, if you're going to accuse some folks of sloppy work then at least tell us who these folks are.

I work on aircraft and I use a hammer and chisel fairly regularly so I don't really know what you are complaining about

Sadly they're in general probably more knowledgeable than that guy down at the shop. But that ain't saying much.

There are lots of hacks out there, who are proud of how fast they are doing a repair.

Fast doesn't count if they do a crap job.

Ever been on a tour of an automotive assembly plant ? It aint always pretty. Back in the day while making deliveries I used to see door, hoods and trunks being adjusted for fit using 2x4's

Back