Got to love simple, low-content cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Norm Olt

p.s. Just imagine what the market would be for a simple version of the woefully over-equipped, overly complex vehicles that are being crammed down the throats of American consumers, all in the name of so-called "safety" and conservation?

An a/c vs. a 4-zone climate control.

A place to install what the new owner wanted vs. a $4000 XYZ infotainment system.

etc., ad nauseam

You are right on the "money", big business tells the consumer what they "should" want, and then make them feel as if THEY actually came up with the desire. You can't deny it makes these sheep "feel good". LOL What a crock.

My Acura MDX tech did fine sitting one month in the garage and then starting.

The funny thing is 10 minutes talking on Bluetooth with engine off but in run position, auto headlights on, interior fully lit, heated seats switched on, nav and radio, and both front and rear AC spinning. It killed my entire battery requiring a jump start.

Day latter Acura battery was tested and passed by two places and passed as good. It did fine at -15F start a week ago too.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
They are made in Spain and not by Johnson Controls or Exide.

Varta, maybe??

Also, in Advance and in Autozone, you can buy a group 49 battery with the store name on it, but it is still made in Spain, and it is white in color.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

The funny thing is 10 minutes talking on Bluetooth with engine off but in run position, auto headlights on, interior fully lit, heated seats switched on, nav and radio, and both front and rear AC spinning. It killed my entire battery requiring a jump start.

The only time "engine off but in run position" should be when you are waiting for some of the warning lights to complete their self-check function i.e. no more than 5 seconds.

The battery is NOT designed to do what you did.

- Vikas

+1 on what vikas said- all those things running without the engine will kill a battery quick. You should have either put the key on the acc or ran the engine. Heated seats and both front and rear hvac going will quick a battery quick.

Bought the Group 49 battery replacement at Knechts (small semi-local chain) and it was produced by a Division of Johnson Controls that is located in Canby, OR, US of A.

84 Months pro-rated warranty, 2 years free replacement for $85.

Fits exactly (W126's have a 2 bolt + plate battery tie down) and seems to be pretty powerful if cranking/starting time is any indication...

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Vikas

The only time "engine off but in run position" should be when you are waiting for some of the warning lights to complete their self-check function i.e. no more than 5 seconds.

The battery is NOT designed to do what you did.

- Vikas

My prior car much more primitive in comparison, 2004 Subaru WRX I left ignition on overnight and it still started slowly.

I know now modern cars with all those computers need lots of juice.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
^ The issue isn't necessarily how much electronic [censored] is in the car, but how good it is about powering down everything that doesn't absolutely need power. The longest I've personally let my Jeep sit is 5 days, no issues there. I've seen similar ones sit for 2 weeks though, and fire right up without a hint of slow cranking.

Since my Dad passed away last spring, his 2008 Ram 1500 sits for up to 2 months at a time, then I get it out and use it for a week or so. I absolutely NEVER just run it in the garage to charge the battery- if it starts, it takes at least a 10 mile trip. Its never failed to fire right up- it powers things down pretty completely within the first day of sitting. I've always heard stories of people with modern cars that can't sit more than 5 days without draining the battery, but fortunately I've never owned one. Even the '99 and '01 Cherokees can sit at least 2 weeks with no problem.

My car has sat in the garage for 4 weeks once while we were out of town. It fired right up, no issues.

It definitely does draw something when shut down, but just a few milliamps. Must not be much.

Maybe it has to feed those 9 computers and can bus net some juice?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My car has sat in the garage for 4 weeks once while we were out of town. It fired right up, no issues.

It definitely does draw something when shut down, but just a few milliamps. Must not be much.

Maybe it has to feed those 9 computers and can bus net some juice?

I have been told that the better-designed vehicle control systems go through progressive sleep stages, shutting more things down and pushing more data to NVRAM the longer the car is left parked. After ~24 hours, most of them draw just a tiny amount of current.

I would guess that a vehicle alarm is one thing that prevents a really deep sleep state, though.

PS- my bringing up the 08 Ram's ability to start after long storage probably means that it will be dead as a post when I go to start it up for some work this Saturday. Its been parked since Christmas. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back