Got some PP laying around, throw it in the mower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Penn Plat 5-30 in all my cars listed below and both B&S powered push mowers.

Never a prob.

\rlr
Carolina

Last edited:
Just keep an eye on the oil level I ran two seasons on my 1998 model Sears 3.75 Techemse with 5w-20 Motorcraft oil,it is still alive. All it gets the left over odds and ends from vehicle oil changes.

My 84 B&S runs any 5w30 syn that I have laying around after I get done with the oil changes in my GF's VW. It only takes about 4.5 qts and so im left with 1/2 qt all the time and its better to use it than waste it.

tim it was a green mower w/ briggs and stratton engine...3 years old...maybe it said weedeater on mower

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I would compair the specs of each oil. GC compaired to Amsoil 10W30/30W...GC is much thicker at operating temps. My Honda is using Amsoil 10W30/30W since thats what its speced for, no oil buring from spring till almost winter. I use the mower once a week for a few hours.

My buddy is using Maxlife blend 10W30 in his briggs.

My father threw MaxLife 5W-30 into a mower that called for 10W-30, and there were no problems...

I've used mostly 10W30, for the 28+ years I've owned a house. In those years I'm on my second mower, and not because the engine died. I now use what ever left over 5W30 or 10W30 oil I have.

Originally Posted By: chet2
tim it was a green mower w/ briggs and stratton engine...3 years old...maybe it said weedeater on mower

Wow, I wonder why they do not recommend a synthetic?

I plan on putting in some multiviscosity oil like a 5w30 or 10w30 in mine. Next time I buy oil I'll probably take advantage of the specials but sneak a quart of 10w30 instead of 5w30.

My dad used synthetic in mowers back when all mowers called for SAE30 only.

He never had a problem, and the mowers actually consumed less oil.

EDIT: 10w30 synthetic... There was no straight 30 synthetic in the auto part stores.

Last edited:
Go to NAPA and buy a cheap bottle of the house brand 30 wt.for the mower. Save the Platinum for an automobile.

I got 4 bottles of 5W30 Quaker State Semi-Syn high reving oil that a local store was clearing out for $3 a bottle . Runs great in my Honda 5.5HP self propelled Cub-Cadet from TSC !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back