Got screwed over for a promotion and Im depressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

I applied to some local places, but couldn't really find a good match. Finally, I applied for a job in Arkansas that effectively mirrored my current job description. A few weeks after I submitted my application, I flew there on their dime for a two-day interview. A week later, I had an offer. I submitted that to the department chair, and my current employer matched the offered salary within 48 hours. Needless to say, I stayed since I like where I work and didn't want to move 3 states away.

As a side note, I apparently wasn't the only one for whom my supervisor didn't get paperwork submitted correctly or in a timely manner. She was "given the opportunity to resign" 3 weeks ago...

Most companies don't do counter offers because they don't work out. There are numerous reasons for this - which can be their own thread some day.

I'll agree with most that hanging your head about it isn't the right path. They didn't want OP for the promotion. Message sent and received. Time to move on.

Elevator repair pays very well, just be prepared for some very hard physical labor.

All the thyssenkrupp folks make very good money and it’s a union job with nice benefits.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
He tells me I wasnt qualified because my driving record is classified as a 'Medium Risk' from speeding tickets. Heres the thing. The last one drops off TODAY, 4/6/18. As of right now I have a CLEAN 3 year record. It was literally like 2 weeks if they couldve waited.

I remember you wrecked your CV by driving it aggressively two years ago as of this past December. So this December will be 3 years. Maybe the insurance company knows about the wreck. They probably do if the police were notified.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...ic.#Post3939318

Wondering what ended up happening here...the OPer hasn't posted in a while.
I sincerely hope that he didn't give up or end up getting fired for showing up late when he was in his funk.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I sincerely hope that he didn't give up or end up getting fired for showing up late when he was in his funk.

The guy is probably applying and interviewing at different places now that he realizes his employer doesn't as appreciate his hard work and skills.

There's lots of jobs out there for skilled workers.

Galling to you?
Of course.
Unfair?
Probably.
The insurance thing is no more than an excuse that your employer could have resolved with a phone call to the producing agent in which the agent could have been told that they'd hate to have to shop the insurance, in which case the producing agent would have gotten things right with the actual insurer.
You need to make a living, and as hateful as this may be to you, you have to get out of bed each morning and show up at the job prepared to do a good one.
Most of us have been in you shoes at one time and most of us have found better jobs, but we didn't do so by throwing in the towel and going home to stew.
Work your current job to pay your bills and stay financially afloat while casting your resume out searching for better opportunities.
You'll be fine over time.
Don't let your current anger derail your longer term goals.
Your company will survive with or without you.
The question is how you'll survive without a paycheck.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Have you considered moving? Even a short distance might present you with new opportunities. Central WA can only present you with so many opportunities. Tri-Cities or Spokane perhaps?

Of all the areas you mentioned, doesn't Seattle have the best 'in demand' jobs for skilled workers ?

Maybe some BITOG'ers in Washington state might have some job leads... ?

Maybe the last ticket drops off of the records that can be accessed. But the Company knows you have them. You may not be able to unring that bell.

I've been in your shoes before. I worked a local government IT gig on a temp government contract. They had an opening for the same exact position full time with full benefits. Here's the thing though. I did not have a 4 year bachelors degree. I had an A+ and Network + though. I knew the inner workings in and out. They were willing to sub 2 years of experience for one year of college. Issue was I only had 4 years of experience at that time. Now even the IT director piped up and raised cane but HR would not budge. I was always the one there first thing and last to leave. Sometimes it's not the people you work directly with that can make the hiring decisions. Remember in most companies hiring and qualifications are made by HR. Don't let this get you down. Find out if your company pays for any schooling/training and use that to springboard your career. That's what I personally did (10 years ago) and it's paid for itself tenfold, albeit, through my current employer. Also if you have a technical school it may be to your benefit to take a certification course or two. I'm not sure how that works in your field but in IT you're looking usually at a decent/quick turn around time (All 3 of my comptia certs took a combined 2 1/2 months). Said school was the same one that got me into the government position which has paid MANY dividends down the road. Remember you only reap from the hard work YOU put in. Be it from your current employer or a new one. Don't screw yourself out of this job. The world is too small for burning bridges! Stay on the up and up so you can use this company as a reference and who knows maybe one of the relatives of a person you work with may have an opening. You want to be able to have your name in that hat with positive remarks! CHIN UP!

No Im not dead. I went and got some help, took a break from this and found a new hobby.
So as an update, since everyone is posting in this thread still.
I still work here. I got myself sorted enough to go to work everyday, even if I dont like it.
My boss reran my drivers thing a few weeks ago and I was reclassed as 'Low Risk' so I can drive for the company now. Im still limited in that I can't pull trailer or drive the heavy service truck, but thats just a matter of being 'certified' which pretty much just means watching some dumb videos on the computer and answering test questions correctly.
And thats even with that accident above showing up on the report. I was not ticketed for that wreck, btw.
He explained that the new guy "Had more experience" and thats what they were looking for. I doubt it, watching him struggle. But whatever. Not my worry. At one time I saw myself retiring from this place but not anymore.
Ive thought about schooling, and gone so far as to look up cirriculums on the local Community collage, but anything I would be interested in requires high level math that I have a lot of difficulty with. I got like a B in a Pre-Algebra class years ago and that was a struggle. I have to break problems down into the smallest grade school sized problem so I do multiple micro operations to get one full operation that other people seem to be able to do all at once...
Also, thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips. I feel a lot better about everything now that Ive come back and read the thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Ive thought about schooling, and gone so far as to look up cirriculums on the local Community collage, but anything I would be interested in requires high level math that I have a lot of difficulty with. I got like a B in a Pre-Algebra class years ago and that was a struggle. I have to break problems down into the smallest grade school sized problem so I do multiple micro operations to get one full operation that other people seem to be able to do all at once...
Also, thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips. I feel a lot better about everything now that Ive come back and read the thread.

Take the time to search youtube/google for math calculations shortcuts....

Don't give up on going to school. What you know is something nobody can take from you!
And don't give up your passion.
If you go to work, take the time to learn the most.
Is your company offering any training/online learning?

Since recession will come at some point, it is better to have some valuable skills either to stay employed or find employment

Ohms law and basic electronics uses algebra for classroom instruction and teaching of theory.

The math needed for an associates degree isn't too difficult.

Math didn't come easily to me. Mostly it was pounded into me by repetition. Other than classes in basic electricity and figuring out resonant frequencies, more basic stuff, it is necessary to get a certificate. But little used in a job.

If you want to move up the ladder you better learn how to lick boots.

That's today's world. I never could bring myself to do that.

Don't help this guy. Give him enough rope to hang himself. That's what I've done to non technical MBA types that don't have a clue what they're doing.

It ain't all just widgets. The pendulum will eventually swing back.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Some times you need to get fired. It can be a good thing. What's the big deal if you're young and have no family to support.

Fate is giving him a shove.

Its OK.

Stop thinking about the guy that got your position and focus on YOU. That is step numero uno.

You did the right thing by staying. That was super hard to do, but everyone here worth their salt told you it was the right thing to do. Stick it out, do the best job you can do, work on a little boot licking skills (it sucks, but you gotta do it...), and keep looking for other oppurtunities (intenally and externally). Focus on your skills, your positive outlook, and where you need to go regardless of others actions.

Proud of you dude.
cheers3.gif

Remember: it's always easier to get a new job while you're currently employed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back