Got screwed over for a promotion and Im depressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
....but anything I would be interested in requires high level math that I have a lot of difficulty with. I got like a B in a Pre-Algebra class years ago and that was a struggle. I have to break problems down into the smallest grade school sized problem so I do multiple micro operations to get one full operation that other people seem to be able to do all at once...
{Emphasis added}Your interest gives you a big leg up. Don't you see it? You're actually interested! That's critical to answering "So, why am I doing this? How does it apply? When will I ever use this?" It's because you are interested in the subject. Your interest provides motivation. As you gain problem solving skills and begin to understand how it all fits, it will build your confidence, which will allow you to master more difficult concepts and problem solve at a higher level.

Some larger, difficult tasks, are WORTH the struggle. Learning math is one of those. If you're going to wrestle with something, do it with something worthwhile, that builds a valuable skill.

There are many great videos now teaching math, using color, animation, stories, graphics, from all kinds of different teachers available to you. You can watch them over & over. Whenever you want. That's HUGE vs. when I was in school. Take advantage of it.

Originally Posted By: thooks
Can you pass a drug test today?

lol, yes? Im guessing you ask because WA is a Mjane state?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Stop thinking about the guy that got your position and focus on YOU. That is step numero uno.

You did the right thing by staying. That was super hard to do, but everyone here worth their salt told you it was the right thing to do. Stick it out, do the best job you can do, work on a little boot licking skills (it sucks, but you gotta do it...), and keep looking for other oppurtunities (intenally and externally). Focus on your skills, your positive outlook, and where you need to go regardless of others actions.

Proud of you dude.
cheers3.gif

Remember: it's always easier to get a new job while you're currently employed.

Thanks, Im trying, but its hard not to think about it sometimes. Just yesterday he was asking me what a CCV filter is. It came as part of a service kit for a large loader. Sometimes I just wanna...RRRR

And that has been my primary reason for staying, is that it looks better to be currently employed or whatever.
The only co-worker I would consider a friend, also recently learned he is not getting Tech 3 as he was promised. He deserves it. But they said you have to be able to drive service truck for Tech 3, and he is NOT interested in that. Says hes done that, didnt like it, wont do it again. Understandable to me. There is plenty of work at the shop to keep him busy so IMO its just a dumb excuse. Hes pretty much the only person that is able to focus on down equipment and get them back up and running. Everyone else is split between 15 different things and often times the down stuff gets left to sit until the last minute, then its a mad rush. Well, hes gonna put in his two weeks in the next couple days and then he will be gone. So, the only person I like there, (that I see on the regular) is leaving.

Oh, funny story. My boss asked me a few days ago if I could bring in my laptop to hook up to a mini-excavator to force a regen. Some code for the DPF and he thinks forcing a regen will work. So far I have not brought it in, and I wont either. IMO, knowing the age, # hours on the machine, the DPF is probably done and needs to be replaced. But thats just my guess. I do know regen never gets rid of 100% and eventually the remainder adds up to enough that its restrictive even after a regen. But I dont think they know that and I havent put that theory out there for them.
I mean, last time I told them good knowledge they just ignored it.
Cust. filled DEF tank on 125kVA gen with diesel. I heard them talking about washing the tank out and putting it back together. I spoke up and told them, nope, absolutely no way that will work. I said order new tank, pump, lines and injector. Replace the entire system is the only way to be sure. Of course they didnt annnnd guess what? Wonder of wonders it didnt work. So that gave me a little bit of glee. I mean, have to find happiness where you can.

Last edited:
Interesting turn of events. Long story.
Got some commercial grade Motorola UHF two way radios 3 months ago. Bought my GMRS license, programmed the radios myself onto the GMRS frequencies. I tinkered with them here and there. Nothing too much.
One day change all the channels from having a PL tone on the receive to Carrier squelch. Basically instead of having to have a proper code on the signal for the radio to output to the speaker, it will output any valid radio signal it receives on the channel.
It begins receiving a repeater signal almost immediately. So I keyed up and put out my call sign. Long story short I find out said repeater is 50W into a 7dBi gain antenna on a ridge @ 5500ft ASL. Im at about 1000ft ASL. When I look up the location on Google Earth and draw a line from my location, I find out Im reaching into it from 56 miles away. With a 4W handheld. Inside my house. This amazed and excited me.
I begin talking with the group actively, and one weekend I met up with the owner of the repeater and another user to have lunch.

About a month ago I decide the GMRS license is too limiting, I want the full cake. An Amateur radio license. So I began studying for it, with the intention of getting my General.
Took the test this past Sunday, the 20th and passed the General test easily. On Monday I decide Ive had enough of work at the rental shop and put in my two weeks, with the 1st as my last day. I didnt have anything planned for a job after that, but I finally had had enough when I busted butt to get 16 machines turned through the shop on Thursday when my foreman took the day off, and he comes in Friday with only negative things to say about the job we'd done keeping the shop running.

On Monday I also sent a picture of my test result to one of the local people I had been talking with on the GMRS. He sends back to come by their radio shop here in town for a talk. I took a long lunch Tuesday to do that.
The outcome of that was I agreed to come in Wednesday (today) to shadow their lead technician. I didnt see any way around it as they really were interested in seeing my knowledge base in the field. So I called into the rental shop to go with him.
As a result of my call in the manager there told me this morning to come collect my tools.
But the shadow turned out well. Their lead tech was impressed, said it was really hard to find people interested in radio, and they have found that without some interest, its really hard to train them satisfactorily. Said since I already have knowledge of frequnencies and PL tones, and can figure out on my own how to program Motorola radios, Im way ahead of the usual people they are looking at. Not to mention having a clean background to be able to go into public safety buildings.
So thats like 99% a done deal that Im changing career paths completely. Going to go into the radio shop tomorrow after I collect my tools to talk some more, and get it finished up.
Yesterday I was working on boom lifts, scissor lifts and telehandelers.
Today I was replacing a radio dispatch console in a small town PD. OKay, it was preprogrammed, but it was still an active dispatch, and wiring it up was preeetty critical. One wrong wire would shut them down. That would be Very Bad.

Last edited:
That is great. Only one comment. The rental shop, it sounds like, dismissed you basically for giving two weeks notice, since I can't imagine it was for calling in for one personal day.
Places like that do not deserve the courtesy of employees giving 2 weeks notice. I would give them one day, and tell them the reason they didn't deserve the courtesy of a reasonable notice.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Interesting turn of events. Long story.
Got some commercial grade Motorola UHF two way radios 3 months ago. Bought my GMRS license, programmed the radios myself onto the GMRS frequencies. I tinkered with them here and there. Nothing too much.
One day change all the channels from having a PL tone on the receive to Carrier squelch. Basically instead of having to have a proper code on the signal for the radio to output to the speaker, it will output any valid radio signal it receives on the channel.
It begins receiving a repeater signal almost immediately. So I keyed up and put out my call sign. Long story short I find out said repeater is 50W into a 7dBi gain antenna on a ridge @ 5500ft ASL. Im at about 1000ft ASL. When I look up the location on Google Earth and draw a line from my location, I find out Im reaching into it from 56 miles away. With a 4W handheld. Inside my house. This amazed and excited me.
I begin talking with the group actively, and one weekend I met up with the owner of the repeater and another user to have lunch.

About a month ago I decide the GMRS license is too limiting, I want the full cake. An Amateur radio license. So I began studying for it, with the intention of getting my General.
Took the test this past Sunday, the 20th and passed the General test easily. On Monday I decide Ive had enough of work at the rental shop and put in my two weeks, with the 1st as my last day. I didnt have anything planned for a job after that, but I finally had had enough when I busted butt to get 16 machines turned through the shop on Thursday when my foreman took the day off, and he comes in Friday with only negative things to say about the job we'd done keeping the shop running.

On Monday I also sent a picture of my test result to one of the local people I had been talking with on the GMRS. He sends back to come by their radio shop here in town for a talk. I took a long lunch Tuesday to do that.
The outcome of that was I agreed to come in Wednesday (today) to shadow their lead technician. I didnt see any way around it as they really were interested in seeing my knowledge base in the field. So I called into the rental shop to go with him.
As a result of my call in the manager there told me this morning to come collect my tools.
But the shadow turned out well. Their lead tech was impressed, said it was really hard to find people interested in radio, and they have found that without some interest, its really hard to train them satisfactorily. Said since I already have knowledge of frequnencies and PL tones, and can figure out on my own how to program Motorola radios, Im way ahead of the usual people they are looking at. Not to mention having a clean background to be able to go into public safety buildings.
So thats like 99% a done deal that Im changing career paths completely. Going to go into the radio shop tomorrow after I collect my tools to talk some more, and get it finished up.
Yesterday I was working on boom lifts, scissor lifts and telehandelers.
Today I was replacing a radio dispatch console in a small town PD. OKay, it was preprogrammed, but it was still an active dispatch, and wiring it up was preeetty critical. One wrong wire would shut them down. That would be Very Bad.

Glad you found a great career
smile.gif

Keep up the great work also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back