Got a whole thread deleted - wow.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I feel like a kid that get suspended for the first time..chastised, but a bit proud of what they did.

I just thought with the importance of what had happened, some mention was deserved.

And it WAS sad to see that with the congratulatory note in the post, that some people HAD to turn it around and make it sound like I was being a bigot for pointing it out.

You see it in every group that I've ever observed. It's sorta like they fashion themselves as "good time" saboteurs. That is, they knew exactly what they were doing.

"Are you happy? Well, we'll take care of that!"

Yeah, Gary that may just be the case.

I don't want to get a rep on the Forum as a troublemaker or make enemies. And I DO understand the ban on RSP, and why it is there.

But, there are sometimes important things that happen that should 'step around' these rules and be allowed in. I thought this was one of them.

I shouldn't even care, its not MY country I live in. I just think the Western world can learn a lot from it. Its interesting - someone said "you're brave bringing up a topic that will get banned". Meanwhile, I was trying to say, 'the US is brave for breaking out of the mold". It wasn't ABOUT me....

Well, let's just say that, as far as nations go, there are those moments that should make you proud that your ideals prove out in reality. It's a very rare occasion.

34.gif

Originally Posted By: addyguy
...I feel like a kid that get suspended for the first time..chastised, but a bit proud of what they did.

I just thought with the importance of what had happened, some mention was deserved.

And it WAS sad to see that with the congratulatory note in the post, that some people HAD to turn it around and make it sound like I was being a bigot for pointing it out.
And you make another thread. Your TBN level is dropping FAST.

Originally Posted By: MarginCalled
Originally Posted By: addyguy

And you make another thread. Your TBN level is dropping FAST.

crackmeup2.gif

There are no exceptions on this board. As a long time member you should know that. I am glad you feel like a kid again because you can post again in a week. Helen

I agree with a ban on politics and similar topics. Those topics typically lead to heated discussions that spiral out of control. Bad feelings and enemies are made.

I like a politics free discussion here. Let's keep to oil politics like long OCI's vs. 3k OCI "cheap insurance". There's plenty of places on the web where you can type your fingers blue about politics!

It's clear it was all in good fun and with good intentions. That's what's great about this forum!

A conversation about oil and no politics? Simply not possible... I laugh at that!

Look at all the anti-Walmart posts on here... people on here who refer to 'big business' and 'excessive profits' have a politcal slant.

I think it's an injustice to ban such talk, you freely come here to comment on oil and you freely don't have to. Same way with a political forum. You don't have to go in it, you don't have to read the posts, and you don't have to comment. From argument comes ideas and educated opinions- something that is needed in our society.

However I do respect a 'privately' held forum to descriminate and set their own norms and rules as they see fit.

Seems like most topics are left locked but visible as a warning shot not to try something again.

Truly "bad" posts go to a secret detention area where they can't be visited ever again.

One could expect that the admins are on high patrol today... so mentioning political topics would be like walking down Pennsylvania Ave in the summer, with a ski mask and long coat on, mumbling to oneself... sure to attract attention, with many eyes in the sky.

When I first joined BITOG my first inclination was to resent that political discussions weren't allowed. Then a dose of common sense hit me.

1. I do not pay for the immense amount of software needed to run a prosperous board with over 22,000 members.

2. I do not pay for the gobs of network storage needed to accommodate millions of posts on everything from Vegemite to oil viscosity.

3. I do not have to screen and select competent moderators to ensure that this board remains a safe haven for sane and rational discussions.

This is a privately owned "business" and we are using their services for FREE. They should and will run this board according their rules and we all must abide by them. If you owned a forum and you had a hundred people pushing the idea that the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and their deity is a great religion and should be pushed down everyone's throats, you'd ban these sort of discussions too.

I've been spanked for breaking the P rule once, but I deserved it.

There are NOT 22,000 members here. I bet 10,000 to 1 more like mid 15's here. You are not subtracting accounts that are opened not used, banned etc. The # is a false one.

But you are right, it is run as a business; aka make money. That, for me, questions many things/posts.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
When I first joined BITOG my first inclination was to resent that political discussions weren't allowed. Then a dose of common sense hit me.

1. I do not pay for the immense amount of software needed to run a prosperous board with over 22,000 members.

2. I do not pay for the gobs of network storage needed to accommodate millions of posts on everything from Vegemite to oil viscosity.

3. I do not have to screen and select competent moderators to ensure that this board remains a safe haven for sane and rational discussions.

This is a privately owned "business" and we are using their services for FREE. They should and will run this board according their rules and we all must abide by them. If you owned a forum and you had a hundred people pushing the idea that the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and their deity is a great religion and should be pushed down everyone's throats, you'd ban these sort of discussions too.

I've been spanked for breaking the P rule once, but I deserved it.

Please don't talk about my church like that.
spankme2.gif

Otherwise great post!
34.gif
If I had a dime for every time I saw some whiny post somewhere on here or the handful of other forums I post on about how someone's first amendment rights were violated by evil moderators or admins, I'd be a rich man.

Originally Posted By: dargo
There are NOT 22,000 members here. I bet 10,000 to 1 more like mid 15's here. You are not subtracting accounts that are opened not used, banned etc. The # is a false one.

But you are right, it is run as a business; aka make money. That, for me, questions many things/posts.

There is always the perpetually open door for those who seek that which is not offered here. Feel free to avail yourself of its utility if you are frustrated in finding satisfaction here.

cheers3.gif

People will have differing opinions on expressing those opinions on a forum like this. BUT, the rule is explicit. The first thread was deleted.

If I was addyguy, I would have taken that as a warning. If I had issues with it, which he seemed to have, I would have messaged the moderators DIRECTLY. I would NOT make another post to anger them even more.

Having a "political slant" and discussing politics and elections are two different things. I don't feel sorry for addyguy. He'll take it one of two ways...he'll either overreact and claim to never come back or he'll learn from his mistake.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

There is always the perpetually open door for those who seek that which is not offered here. Feel free to avail yourself of its utility if you are frustrated in finding satisfaction here.

cheers3.gif

Sorry Gary- This site is SALES driven. If not,prove me wrong. But the last part, the more your ban people here, users like me, wonder here.It is getting to the point like ***...Sponsers leave, users banned etc. Where do you draw the line????
In fact, I KNOW people that are banned for nothing more then [censored]...

Originally Posted By: es350
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

cheers3.gif

Sorry Gary- This site is SALES driven. If not,prove me wrong. But the last part, the more your ban people here, users like me, wonder here.It is getting to the point like ***...Sponsers leave, users banned etc. Where do you draw the line????
In fact, I KNOW people that are banned for nothing more then [censored]...

I'm going to fill in your censored sentence.

I KNOW people that are banned for nothing more THAN not following the rules. Is that what you meant?

Yes, there are some sales on here, but they pay for the privilege to do so. I sure do not have a problem with that. A site like this cost a lot to operate. You will never be able to please everyone, but considering this board started in May 2002 and now has,

60 Forums
95935 Topics
1273130 Posts

I think we have done quite well over the years. Kudos to Helen and the moderators.

Having not seen the thread in question, I can't comment on how overtly political it was.

IMO the mods do a pretty good job when it comes to keeping the politics out of everyday discussions. But why was Addyguy "spanked" for a week for bringing it up again? This seems kind of like a "If you question our logic we'll ban you." NOT an open forum if it employs such tactics.

I guess its fair to say if any member can NOT follow the rules of BITOG, they need to pack their cyber bags and find another website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back