Got A New Flashlight...

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Well, now that we officially have Pop Rivet's position open, I see that we have an applicant here to take his place. Should we hire him ??

No you should not as I' fully retired at 74 and furthermore dying of cancer.

Still want me????????????????????????????

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: jcwit
Might have something to do with being in purchasing since the age of 14 and being director of purchasing for the largest RV company in the U.S. Suppope??

OK, but what are your purchasing criteria? If your only requirement is that it "provides light," then you should just buy a box of matches.
smile.gif

Please read my latest post, might explain things to a closed mind!

No reason to overthink things.

Little reason to put a 1,000 lb hitch with sway control on a camper only needing a 750 lb. hitch.

Now a box of matches shows just how ridiculous your thinking is.

Well, now that we officially have Pop Rivet's position open, I see that we have an applicant here to take his place. Should we hire him ??

How far up the corporate ladder did you get?

Just asking!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What does climbing corporate ladders have to do with buying flashlights as a hobby?
21.gif

No idea! I buy flashlights as a tool, not as a hobby!

Now flashlight batteries????? Whole different ballgame! LOL

Last edited:
QP...that thing is Bad@rss. 2500 Lumens & 800 meter throw distance.

Here's a review of it >>>>

Wow, I want it but (un)fortunately, I missed the group buy! Can you put it against DQG and take a picture?

just scored one in black.
secondhand from someone who thinks its too heavy.
i will take it for $35 shipped.weight means better mass for heat conduction.
look up the supfire m6 and note design similarities.
same oem?
btw the m6 is a great light.i have several and so do my friends.
m6 at mountain

With 3 cells loaded, it is pretty heavy... about 1 lb. Although you can run it on fewer than 3 cells at the expense of run time.

Also, the 800 meter throw rating is not realistic, but it's still a fun light.

Some recent purchases... as you can see I'm in need of professional help at this point...

S2+ Desert Tan, next to my old S2+:
36923851936_9e01919e12_o.jpg

OTR M3:
36239433893_355a5f5d14_o.jpg

Next to DQG Tiny...
36111826014_6513e04a10_z.jpg

Quote:
you can see I'm in need of professional help at this point...

Now that you purchased a 16340 light, YES, you absolutely do!!

Seriously, that is not the best form factor in terms of energy density. As you can see the the DQG tiny gives you triple the battery density for slightly larger total overall volume. For keychain lights, you should go even small form factor. There used to be boutique light based upon half of the 16340 battery. I do not remember but they were cute and EXPENSIVE so I never pulled the trigger.

All in all, flashlight as hobby is lot cheaper than some of the other ones. So enjoy it and try to hide them from your wife just in case :)

Seriously, that is not the best form factor in terms of energy density. As you can see the the DQG tiny gives you triple the battery density for slightly larger total overall volume.

I know. I wanted something lighter that could attach to the visor of a baseball cap during my nighttime walks. I tried the DQG and it was just too heavy, so that's why I ended up with the M3. It has the 5C warm tint, which I really like, too. On mid mode (300 lumen), I can get a little over 1 hr runtime, which is enough for my needs.

I always have a flashlight and a headlamp nearby.

The headlamp was grabbed about 85% of the time.

Until recently I used a NItecore HC50. these use a Lithium 18650 battery button top.
Recently, and after a LOT of use, this light became unreliable, in that it woudl dim to near useless levels whenever it dang well decided. Sometimes works perfectly for a few days, then cuts out.

So I have been shopping.

No I do not 2300 Lumens, 99.98% of the time, but it is neat to have available, if the battery still can support that much load

it quickly gets hot and steps down to 700 Lumnes but can maintian this level for longer than I have required, so far.

It has this magnetic tailcap for USB charging. i was not really into this feature, when reading about it, but it is convenient no not have to unscrew tailcap to replace battery, i can take it off my head and wave it near the magnetic tailcap and snap, it is charging.

Anyway look into the Olight H2R Nova.

IMO, It is far superior to the 2013 NitecoreHC50(585 lumen earlier version) even when it still worked properly, which it still, sometimes, does. It can output higher levels of light for longer with the same capacity battery, has a better beam pattern, is pretty small and light being not much larger than the 18650 battery, has a double direction clip for mounting to a pocket, and 2300 Lumens parked atop your head, well it is a bit obscene, even if it only can last for a short duration.

The elastic headstrap for the light comes with a magnet installed in the base, as well as a silicon retainment strap. They provied a foam pad in case it is preferable to not have a magnet here. I did not mind the magnetic function, but I did not like the square magnet being pressed to my forehead. Perhaps my forehead is too domed. Anyway I had to pull out the magnet and replace it with the provided pad.

it is a strong chromed neodymium magnet with kind of rounded edges. Perhaps it will find its way onto an oil filter casing, someday.

Its not a contact Issue. All conductive surfaces on everything I own get celaned with Deoxit d5 or d100 or g5 and sometimes proteced with S5.

The failure is internal to the light. When It fails it will put out 1 lumen or perhaps 5 lumens. I can leave it on in such a state and several hours later it will goto a higher brightness level and work perfectly for X amount of time, then cut out again, usually when murphy says it will cause me a tempertantrun and launch some tools into low earth orbit.

I've seen no way to open the light up to get at the circuit board.

It had been dropped several times. The headband is worn out, It got a lot of use.

well if you are going to toss it send it to me.
i will figure out how to get into it.
this will create data points for those who want to upgrade leds,ect.

Back