Google Street View!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google never ceases to amaze me. Eventually they are looking to catalog the entire world's cities.

Recently they added Canadian cities to the list.

Check out the view from one of the bridges from Vancouver!

View from Lions Gate Bridge

Anyone got any cool street view links to share, perhaps where they live? Such a great way to explore a place without having to actually go there!

Last edited:
I'm not going to post the link due to a friend being involved, but the day Google came through his neighborhood, both he and his neighbor were out mowing their lawns and whey you get the street view for their address, you can see them in the photo.

How often do they retake the satellite images? My house was built over a year ago, and it's still not showing up on google. Forget the street view.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How often do they retake the satellite images? My house was built over a year ago, and it's still not showing up on google. Forget the street view.

Every few years, I think. I can still see my Rx7 in the highschool parking lot. It's been a few years since that.

They snapped a shot while my stepmother was outside watering her yard. I sent it to her and she freaked.

My house was built 3 years ago. The satellite view of my whole neigborhood is still just a dirt pile. The first houses in my neighborhood are 5 years old, so in my area it the images are atleast 6 years old.

I have heard
21.gif
that burglars are saving a ton of gas money scoping out neighborhoods using Street View.

Street view pics are fuzzier b/c they added face blocking technology. It even fuzzes pix on billboards!!!

Fun to compare satellite vs birds eye views, google vs bing. My dad's old house has his car parked out front on the south birds eye view but not any of the other shots. And if you zoom out sometimes you get an older/newer shot too!!

They are just now getting around to more current pictures in my subdivision. No street view images yet. But my street is no longer in the middle of a corn field.

I can see my house completely built, but before the sod was down. I can see the dumpsters, port-a-potty's and the construction crew vehicles in the current aerial imagery of my neighborhood.

I think some of the images are not satellite, but taken from aircraft.

In the picture of my house, my garage door is open and you can just barely see the nose of my Corvette peeking out

Originally Posted By: RWEST
How often do they retake the satellite images?

Yeah, mine hasn't changed in 6 years.
The view of my building at work is about that age. There are condos that are occupied now that weren't even under construction when the photos were done.

At one time Mapquest had a time-lapse feature and my house was under construction at that time, so I had a satellite view of the cornfield, the roughed-out streets, my foundation, and my completed house with the neighbor's foundation. That was pretty cool

The first time I saw my house from Google Earth was soon after the city recycling truck had lost its hydraulic fluid around the neighborhood and finally stopped just outside my house. City workers had put down sand(?) and you could see the trail winding around. A year later a new set of photos had been taken.

Before I bought my latest hat from The Hattery in Australia, I street-viewed the address and could see the street and the outside of the store. February in Katoomba, NSW, looks *hot.* (As in "high temperature," not as in "Nicole Kidman was walking down the street that day.")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back