Americana Hotel, DC

11F13EC2-5D46-46CC-AB28-D14CE1C4785F.jpeg
5B46F41D-D3F8-4545-94C5-98596B84547C.jpeg
EE1B8F07-4851-4E6C-A7B1-81AF37E66913.jpeg
About six or seven years ago I went to DC to visit for the first time. Seeing I was in my 40’s and never visited the Nations Capital, it was time to do it. I decided to go in late September, the summer rush was over and the heat and humidity has dialed back a bit. The first thing that blew my mind while planning the trip was the price of hotels in DC and northern Virginia. Every hotel was $400+ a night. I searched for a long time when a friend told me about the Americana in Crystal City. I believe it was $200 a night. It received great reviews for being cheap, clean, and still close to DC on the Metro. The hotel opened in 1963 and they didn’t touch the rooms for 50 years. It was like stepping back in a time capsule.

I was reading a story about Boeing moving out of Chicago and moving to Crystal City. I was checking Google Maps to see where they were moving to. It was right down the street from the Americana, I did a street view of the hotel and it was empty. I guess they shut down during the pandemic, which was a shame. I then read the owner sold it to a developer. I can only imagine what they got for the land. The new Amazon HQ is being built right across the street.

There's a reason those hotels were $400 a night and this is $200. Were you willing to travel a bit further? Maybe you can get $100 if you drive 1 hr in.

There's a reason those hotels were $400 a night and this is $200. Were you willing to travel a bit further? Maybe you can get $100 if you drive 1 hr in.

Well all the other hotels in Crystal City were the same price as the ones in DC, including the ones next door to the Americana.

I’m in dc almost every week and have never once paid $400/night.

Some of these small mom and pop hotels ran a tight ship and were very clean and well run. Just not modern for the crowd who expects that.

A 1hr drive doesn’t get you far out of town in dc traffic.

Back