Goodyear Assurance Comfortreads = Loss of 2 MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: George Bynum
Capri didn't address it here, but I am of the opinion that the revolutions per mile are relatively constant as the tire wears ... the steel belt is the PRIMARY determining factor if reasonably loaded. VERY lightly loaded ... tire (including rubber) circumference. Normally loaded, belt circumference. Capri, another lesson please?

I'm trying to find a reliable source, because like you, I think there isn't much difference in rolling diameter new to worn.

On the other hand, ABS systems have been used to determine differences in inflation pressure, so I wonder about the degree to which there are differences. But without data, I'm staying away from comments on this subject.

Note: There's a part of me that is concerned about folks making these assertions without good documented data.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Their SUV version ( Assurance Fuelmax CS ) is awesome. Ive got customers telling me they get about 80~100 more mpg/tank. These are the folks that make the same trip at the same time in the same car with the same person to the same place every year. So conditions are fairly consistent.

The Assurance CS Fuel Max is a good choice if you prefer a good ride and high fuel economy (and even then, it's not best in class), but it gives up quite a bit of traction to better competitors, especially in the wet (Capri's lecture on RR evidenced here).

In this Tire Rack test, the Goodyear performed about the same as the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia on a dry track, trailed it on a wet track, and actually came in last of the three for ride quality and noise. The Continental CrossContact LX20 was far-and-away the performance winner in that comparison, though it did give up 4.4% in fuel economy to the other two. Classic case of it's hard to get it all in one product.

Goodyear's Fuel Max line is actually pretty consistent. They all deliver good economy and fall short in traction. For someone whose #1 priority is rolling resistance, they are a good choice (but even then, still aren't best in class). For anyone else, though, they're a rather average/mediocre tire.

not to get too far off topic but I would 100% agree with what Hokiefyd said.

Its also why I didnt buy fuel saver type tires. I like wet traction with retards cutting me off in the rain then slamming on their brakes to turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back