mpg down with Coopers

Recently switched my 16 Odyssey from Hankook Kinergy GT to Cooper Endeavour Plus. The Hankook were 70k tires but after 30 they were at 3/32 so local DT warrantied them and I switched to the Cooper. I know new tires will generally get a little worse mpg but what would you consider excessive. I feel like its a noticeable 2-3 mpg difference on similar trips based on the trip computer.

Maybe just an anomoly but I like the mpg of the Hankook but not if they wear out in half the time. It seems like these vans tend to be hard on tires but longest wearing tires I ever had were older Hankook 727's which is why I was kind of disappointed this time around. Is there a better Hankook tire and I just got the worst wearing ones? Its likely the Cooper won't make it to mileage either but I have them on another van and they seem to wear even and so far have held up better than the Hankook.

I feel like its a noticeable 2-3 mpg difference on similar trips based on the trip computer.
No good for this kind of mileage discussion.
Real gallon tallies (the amount shown on the pump at the time of sale) divided by miles driven (calculated from odometer readings).

Fill the gas tank full. Just go with the click-off or round up to the nearest quarter dollar. Note the volume. Stick with one method.
Some people go the the same station and use the same pump etc. but that's not necessary
That's your starting point. Note the odo.
When you next fill the tank, write down the volume and the odometer reading.
Take that volume and divide it by the distance traveled. This is mileage.

You can get as much gas as you like over time, just remember to write down the odometer reading on fill-ups only.

I do my car monthly. I do my truck bi-monthly as it travels way fewer miles.

Push button dash board things don't provide the precision you need for a "new tire" mileage comparison.

DATE GALLONS ODOMETER COST are the 4 columns I use.

Minivans seem to be hard on tires no matter what :sneaky:

The Coopers you got come with 10.5-12.5/32 depending on the size. Also, they seem to be a crossover/SUV-specific tire, which may help if they're designed for taller vehicles like your Odyssey.

Your Hankooks came with 8-10/32 depending on size.

Recently switched my 16 Odyssey from Hankook Kinergy GT to Cooper Endeavour Plus. The Hankook were 70k tires but after 30 they were at 3/32 so local DT warrantied them and I switched to the Cooper. I know new tires will generally get a little worse mpg but what would you consider excessive. I feel like its a noticeable 2-3 mpg difference on similar trips based on the trip computer.

Maybe just an anomoly but I like the mpg of the Hankook but not if they wear out in half the time. It seems like these vans tend to be hard on tires but longest wearing tires I ever had were older Hankook 727's which is why I was kind of disappointed this time around. Is there a better Hankook tire and I just got the worst wearing ones? Its likely the Cooper won't make it to mileage either but I have them on another van and they seem to wear even and so far have held up better than the Hankook.
The Hankook Kinergy GT is for lighter passenger cars. The Cooper Endeavour is made for heavier SUV's.

Hankook Dynapro's are for SUV's.

Now, Hankook introduced their Ion line for EV's, including for SUV's

2-3mpg is like 10% penalty, right? I mean, it's 20-30mpg, 20 around town and 30 on highway? Don't know about tires but if your previous set were +5% better than average, and these are -5%, then now you can get a 10% swing.

I'd say, don't worry, just motor on, won't be long before you need another set of tires anyhow. Keep an eye on your fuel log, see what the extra burn is. Or at least quantify the mpg loss. Then you can determine if the money saved on tires is offset by money lost to extra fuel, or vice versa.

I liked the cooper ATs I had. They were heavier tires, seemed like they were overbuilt, which was good. Mine saw tow duty and they were reliable, grippy, and didn’t flinch with the extra load. The odyssey is not a small or lightweight vehicle. You’ll get some of your mpg back as they wear in and age. keep in mind minor differences in diameter can happen between makes/models and treadwear, which will also impact mpg calcs. If they balanced well and feel like a good match after the mold wax wears off, my opinion is to enjoy them and see how they do and keep us informed!

I liked the cooper ATs I had. They were heavier tires, seemed like they were overbuilt, which was good. Mine saw tow duty and they were reliable, grippy, and didn’t flinch with the extra load. The odyssey is not a small or lightweight vehicle. You’ll get some of your mpg back as they wear in and age. keep in mind minor differences in diameter can happen between makes/models and treadwear, which will also impact mpg calcs. If they balanced well and feel like a good match after the mold wax wears off, my opinion is to enjoy them and see how they do and keep us informed!
5lbs in that size is big penalty and shows that tire doesn’t utilize that sophisticated technology.
In that size for Odyssey, Continental 4X4 is 28lbs, while crosscontact LX is 27lbs and Michelin LTX M/S at33lbs and that is dedicated truck tire. Nokian ONE is at 31lbs which is H/T tire.
Unnecessary unsprung weight is worst performance and mpg penalty.
You get what you pay for it.

Back