Goodbye Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use Linux Mint Mate 17.3 and installed Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on my GF's. Have Peppermint Linux on a very low end 2008 era laptop. Also used Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Ubunntu on the same machine. Ubintu ran out of horsepower post 12.04. If you're more than a decade old I'd recommend Lubuntu or Linux Mint.

And I've finally figured out why I couldn't get her laptop to match. I'm running Xubuntu 16.04... Didn't think it's been that long since it was loaded must be drinking too much.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I dabble with Linux in an "I hate Microsoft mood" but always come back to Windows. Why? Applications and drivers. I lose so much functionality in printing and though LibreOffice/OpenOffice are "compatible" with MS Office, as an author, it would be difficult (or expensive) for me to work with open sourced documents to make then publication ready (mostly due to the formatting losses). Linux is still quite viable, but the world in more or less in bed with MS.

LaTeX is your solution

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
simple_gifts said:
16.10 is not LTS; move to 16.04 before it is too late!!!! lol
Agreed, big time. The non-LTS releases are NOT for those who need to actually get stuff done. They're usually pretty stable but their purpose is to introduce new technologies and develop the next LTS.

Stay with the LTS releases and upgrade every 2 years. The LTS releases are built with the upgrade path in mind.

LOL!

I say "hello" to both of you from Arch Linux.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
uc50ic4more said:
simple_gifts said:
16.10 is not LTS; move to 16.04 before it is too late!!!! lol
Quote:

Agreed, big time. The non-LTS releases are NOT for those who need to actually get stuff done. They're usually pretty stable but their purpose is to introduce new technologies and develop the next LTS.

Stay with the LTS releases and upgrade every 2 years. The LTS releases are built with the upgrade path in mind.

LOL!

I say "hello" to both of you from Arch Linux.

Arch is my personal favourite!

16.04 on both my machines. Been on Linux forever..can't even begin to consider leaving Ubuntu.
Haven't had a virus since leaving windows..just not a consideration.

For the past 10 years with Windows, no viruses.
Plus, this computer encounters web-surfing for several hours per day.

It's basically what you click on - the attachments you open and the level of computer protection concerning antivirus & firewall, that increase risk of infection.

More people use Windows (by far) than any other method for computer-use. Are we more stupid than others that refute Windows?....... c'mon!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

More people use Windows (by far) than any other method for computer-use. Are we more stupid than others that refute Windows?....... c'mon!

Not until the Mint suggestions cease from the world.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
For the past 10 years with Windows, no viruses.
Plus, this computer encounters web-surfing for several hours per day.

I like playing around with Linux on older machines, and when running Windows is no longer an option. But I haven't had virus/trojan issues with Windows in at least five years, and it was due to using a [censored] antivirus (Webroot). There are so many good, free security programs and viruses are largely getting passe as there isn't much money in them...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I like playing around with Linux on older machines, and when running Windows is no longer an option.

I just bought a new Windows desktop to replace our old XP machine (mostly used for iTunes and photo/negative scanning), so that old XP machine can replace our Linux desktop from 2008 that's getting a bit cranky. Should just be a case of pulling out the hard drive and sticking in the Linux SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back