Goodbye To The Left Pedal

My current car is a Scion Tc, I needed a car on somewhat short notice, but the one provision I left myself is it has to be manual. Its unspectacular on paper and not fast but its much more fun to drive than I anticipated. My only regret with my current car is I didnt get a full out RWD sports oriented car(EDIT: with a manual transmission of course!). I thought it'd be too impractical/stupid to to get something like a 86/BRZ/3xxZ as a daily, but I realized I never lug around much crap(even with a construction adjacent job) and Ive driven plenty of RWD cars through the winter in the past with no issue. I really do like my current car, but in hindsight I compromised my own fulfillment because I was really just considering the generally agreed upon definition of vehicle practicality instead of my own.

So, get the car you REALLY want when the time comes! Dont think about what the general conventions on practicality or reasonableness are, get something based on your own criteria.

I completely understand that for 99% of people a car is just an appliance and comfort and space is top priority. But if you love cars, life is too short to be driving stuff you dont really like, whatever that may be.
Good sentiment, and I agree to a point, but I personally believe that to some extent the "sport" in a car can be "between the ears" so to speak. Now, I'm biased, and I mostly prefer (and drive) manuals... but what about the proposition that sure, having superior power is nice... particularly on a two-lane/overtaking situation (you can NEVER have too much, then) - but the rest of the time, probably you're driving "assertively" and not a lot more. At that point in time, to me, it's a smooth shifting transmission, a low-resonances engine, superior steering, good visibility, and relative drive comfort that makes the car a pleasure. Now, re the Scion TC, you also have a hatchback (room + utility) and you have Toyota reliability. I think you've got a great car!

Good sentiment, and I agree to a point, but I personally believe that to some extent the "sport" in a car can be "between the ears" so to speak. Now, I'm biased, and I mostly prefer (and drive) manuals... but what about the proposition that sure, having superior power is nice... particularly on a two-lane/overtaking situation (you can NEVER have too much, then) - but the rest of the time, probably you're driving "assertively" and not a lot more. At that point in time, to me, it's a smooth shifting transmission, a low-resonances engine, superior steering, good visibility, and relative drive comfort that makes the car a pleasure. Now, re the Scion TC, you also have a hatchback (room + utility) and you have Toyota reliability. I think you've got a great car!

It isnt really the power/speed, I just really love rear wheel drive. I figured since I had moved back to the midwest it wouldnt be great for the winter, along with the practicality stuff. But after having zero problems even in severe conditions with cheap sport all season tires this winter, and remembering how I went 5 years driving beaten up rear wheel drive sports cars in the snow with used tires in my early twenties(my 240sx didnt even have rear brakes for one season), I realized that doesnt matter to me much either.

I do agree though, the points you mentioned are the core things that make a car fun, not matter the layout, make or model. And I do enjoy driving my car on the street and at autoX/track days, it has been a great car. But not having RWD still leaves me wanting whenever I take a corner hard or launch. FWD is fun in its own way but nothing compares with the dynamics of RWD for me.

I’ve driven some vehicles with manual transmissions and really loved them, such as a 1980 Ford Courier and a 65 Mercury pickup with a three speed. Larger farm trucks as well.

Now, we have a 2005 CR-V with the manual and I hate driving it - it’s “jerky” and inconsistent. The stop and go also gets annoying. I much prefer driving my old Tercel with the automatic.

My aunt is now giving us a 2010 Hyundai Tucson and I’ve learned it is also a manual. I’d prefer automatic but hey, beggars can’t be choosers 😂

A synchronized manual transmission would hardly be a theft deterrent. Anyone with enough brain cells can get one going up to speed.
I'd leave an unsynchronized transmission vehicle unlocked with the engine running. You'd hear the gears grinding if someone were to attempt to get it moving.

Essentially up until 10 years ago or so automatics were slower shifting, earned lower fuel economy, and still are more complicated than a manual. Second with all of the people eating on the go, using cellphones etc it seems like fewer people cherished the "driving experience. "

I too learned to drive using a manual, and owned plenty. But nowadays the thought of owning one is just .... meh.

I just picked up a 2003 Jetta TDI wagon with a SouthBend Stage 3 Endurance clutch. This is a real theft-deterrent clutch! If you don't push the clutch FIRMLY all the way to the floor, the clutch interlock won't allow the engine to turn over and start.

Back