Goodbye To The Left Pedal

I can drive a manual but can't say I enjoy it, especially with a bad left knee. After using the clutch for awhile, my knee is usually killing me and I hate driving one in traffic. When I went to buy my Mustang, an automatic equipped one was the only thing I considered and it's plenty fun to drive even with an automatic. My fiancé has a 2007 Mustang GT with a five speed manual is not bad to drive but I still prefer driving mine.

The ones that are still available with a standard transmission will be theft proof too because hardly anyone will know how to drive them anymore. 😄

1636878291187.jpeg

IIRC, when I was looking at the 2022 M3(the real one, not the electric car that people abbreviate to that), the rear wheel drive version is only available with a manual. The other side of that, though, is that AWD only comes in auto. Of course you have to accept having a grille the size of the windshield.

That's far from a stripper car, and it will seat 4 adults comfortably.

I seem to remember that at one time in the not too distant past, didn't manual Miatas outsell autos?

When it comes to sports cars, I'd have them with a true manual and no other way. Last year we got a used cream-puff 3k mile MX-5 drop top with 6 spd manual; I absolutely love it.

But ... for DD I'll take an automatic every time. The convenience and comfort that goes with today's automatics simply makes the stick something I'd rather avoid in every-day driving. Plus, the advancements in autos has far outpaced the manuals. Even a good manual (like my MX5) really has not improved over the decades. But automatics have improved in number of gears, shift feel, etc. Most even have a "manual" shift scheme you can use. There are some notable excpetions pro and con here. The little Ford autos in the Focus's and such are arguably garbage. On the other side, many of the DCT units in high performance cars (Shelby GT500) are outstanding and faster than a stick!

This is what happens when the free market it left to fend for itself. (not a political comment, but a fiscal market comment). People will choose what they want to have and speak with their wallet. Manuals are a thing of the past overall because the customer does not demand them in any but a few applications. Same reason New Coke failed. Etc ...

IMO modern 6+ speed automatic transmissions really do an awesome job. Even CVTs for city use are so much better than a 5 speed manual in a small vehicle. They also seem to last a lot longer than older 4 and 3 speed automatics. For the first time in 10 years I'm DD'ing an automatic and I don't mind it one bit.

Even in my hobby of going off roading - rock crawling, trails and (unfortunately) mud - the automatic works so much better. The only down side is I cant kill it in low gear to stop should I lose the brakes.

There are still a few cars I enjoy in manual. Jeep Wranglers, BMWs, VWs and some Hondas. The cars that have gear lock-outs for mpg purposes are idiotic.

I'm driving a 2006 Accord EX-L with a manual, one of those rare and now extinct "family" cars with a manual. Had a Saab 9-5 Aero for a long time and a Saturn SC before that, all manuals. With how long I keep cars my next one may well be my last manual. Probably end up with a GTI, Civic Si, or an early teens A4 or 3 series. My left knee is still good and I don't mind the stick in traffic :)

jeff

If the usa threw on a 50+ percent tax on automatic transmissions, and electric vehicles, I guarantee overnight people would take up driving manuals again. Unfortunately automatics in a lot of cases get better fuel economy than manuals do.

3 out of the 5 cars in my signature are 6mt. Wouldn't have it any other way - if I have to convince someone to get a manual or if someone has to ask themselves if they can live with manual or not, they probably shouldn't get the manual transmission due to any doubts / regrets. Reason I say that is because those who really want a manual transmission car will deal with the issues that others complain about (traffic).

Given the choice again I would still pick the manual transmission even though automatic was available. There was a time I sold my only manual car (350z) and instantly regretted it and knew the next "sports" car I owned I would have to go back to shifting myself. To me shifting on the way home from work / groceries / picking up kids is more fun, 99% of the time. To each his own however!

If the usa threw on a 50+ percent tax on automatic transmissions, and electric vehicles, I guarantee overnight people would take up driving manuals again. Unfortunately automatics in a lot of cases get better fuel economy than manuals do.

Manuals are more difficult to develop with safety tech. I believe the excess development coupled to lack of interest kills them.

Manuals are more difficult to develop with safety tech. I believe the excess development coupled to lack of interest kills unfortunately.
Manuals are more difficult to develop with safety tech. I believe the excess development coupled to lack of interest kills them.
The big issue in the last decade or so is the mpg certification has become more stringent. It has more or less become increasingly difficult for manual transmission vehicles to pass. Plus the fact that every vehicle combination has to be separately certified in the USA is ridiculous. In Japan manufacturers certify a vehicle once, hence why they have so many limited edition vehicles. Subaru North America had to spend over 2 Million dollars to certify the STi RA, which they only made 500 of. One million just for CARB certification.

My 2006 Mustang GT is a manual and no I would not have bought it as a auto. I feel there are lots of other people who feel the same about those type (Mustang, Challenger, Camaro) of cars.
I would not buy a muscle car, or a sports car with an automatic...

What I don't get is most new motorcycles still have a manual transmission. Shifting a bike sucks but shifting something like a GTI or a Miata is much better. To me anyways.
Shifting a bike is actually easier than shifting a car. That said, my 2018 Goldwing is a DCT, which is a 7 speed automatic..but you are correct, most bikes still have manual trannies...

Back