Goodbye Jeep Cherokee

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Suppose it had to happen. Maybe a large licensing fee will make it OK? Or follow Washington football lead... "the new 2022 Jeep midsize vehicle"...

Suppose it had to happen. Maybe a large licensing fee will make it OK? Or follow Washington football lead... "the new 2022 Jeep midsize vehicle"...

Why pay a licensing fee? IMHO the football team renaming is an epic failure. This is all opinion and solely mine. What they should have done was pump the brakes and take this slow. How to do that with all the social pressure? Start off with a committee and have a renaming contest. Put it off to the 2021 season opener and unveil a completely redesigned set of uniforms around the new name. Turn those lemons into lemonade.

Same thing for the Cherokee name. Jeep makes some short term promises and some time on the drawing board. Use this as a platform to launch a whole new jeep with a whole new name. Media coverage is free advertising.

I really want to ask Mr. Hoskin how, exactly, his people are damaged by this. I could understand his concerns if some dangerous, incapable, underpowered POS had been named after his tribe, but that's not the case. I swear, people clearly WANT to be upset about something when they're willing to reach this far for it.

Meanwhile, if Jeep wants to re-name it "Middle-Aged White Dude Born of French and English Immigrants", I won't be offended.

Grievance society like no other …
Heck, maybe they could get their kids in at Palo Alto U to become masters at it …

Agree about Washington. Seems like the owners are just wringing their hands not knowing what they should do. Pick a new name and move on. This Jeep thing seems like an order of magnitude larger. Legacy iconic branding and I'm just an older white guy but I can't see anything disrespectful.

And about Washington using "Redskins" there's this:

Deep in the Navajo reservation you find the Red Mesa High School Redskins. Go figure.

redmesa.jpg

Actually, I'm glad. The current Cherokee CUV mom-mobile is a disgrace to the original Jeep Cherokees. They should have given it a different name in the first place.

Can we get rid of the Blazer and Trailblazer names too?

Meanwhile, if Jeep wants to re-name it "Middle-Aged White Dude Born of French and English Immigrants", I won't be offended.

Hmmmm...on to something here and it is close to my heritage also. I fly a Piper Cherokee variant, looks like I will have to get used to radio calls like "...Middle-Aged White Dude Born of French and English Immigrant 1234X on final approach..." as opposed to "Cherokee 1234X..." Going to slow things up.

Seriously, but this is an example. William T. Piper, founder, had Native American heritage and reportedly named his aircraft line as a way to honor them; Cherokee, Pawnee, Apache, Dakota, Seminole. So is that now wrong? Because the company profited? This is so ridiculous and sadly we have a generation being steeped in this mindset. I really need to stop now....

Goodbye Jeep Cherokee​

Maybe a large licensing fee will make it OK?
That's what you got from that article?

The Cherokee Nation asked Jeep to stop using it even though they themselves don't 'legally' own it. Jeep are in no way obligated to do so and even in this PC day and age they probably won't because it's a brand that makes them money. There's nothing to license here. Maybe make a one-time fat donation somewhere to look good to the public but that's about as far as this will go.

That's what you got from that article?

The Cherokee Nation asked Jeep to stop using it even though they themselves don't 'legally' own it. Jeep are in no way obligated to do so and even in this PC day and age they probably won't because it's a brand that makes them money. There's nothing to license here. Maybe make a one-time fat donation somewhere to look good to the public but that's about as far as this will go.
Yeah but eventually they will get so much flack for being "insensitive" that they will have to dump the nameplate to avoid the controversy.

Well what was their great hurry? This name has been used by Jeep on and off since the 70s with the Cherokee Chief which was a short wheelbase version of the SJ Wagoneer. I don't see this going anywhere. The Cherokee Nation should consider that Jeep has not been American owned since 1998. The company who owns Jeep now is Stellantis which is a merger between Fiat/Chrysler and PSA in France.

Actually, I'm glad. The current Cherokee CUV mom-mobile is a disgrace to the original Jeep Cherokees. They should have given it a different name in the first place.

Can we get rid of the Blazer and Trailblazer names too?

That's what I was thinking. The SJ and XJ Cherokees were respectable vehicles. The KL Cherokee, not so much.

I wonder what the Eastern Band of the Cherokee nation has to say about this? But I get it. Naming a product after a group of people is a little rich. IIRC VW ran into this with one of their SUV's.

Yeah but eventually they will get so much flack for being "insensitive" that they will have to dump the nameplate to avoid the controversy.
Only if the "flack" starts costing them money. I'm pretty sure those purchasing their products aren't in the same group giving the flack.

Back