Goodbye Jeep Cherokee

That's what you got from that article?

The Cherokee Nation asked Jeep to stop using it even though they themselves don't 'legally' own it. Jeep are in no way obligated to do so and even in this PC day and age they probably won't because it's a brand that makes them money. There's nothing to license here. Maybe make a one-time fat donation somewhere to look good to the public but that's about as far as this will go.

Did you notice the word "maybe"? Licensing or one time fat donation, money makes things better.

Gladiator and Wrangler nameplates will be next. People of Roman or cowboy lineage will be offended. It won't stop. Jeep really is non-PC come to think about it. (y)

The cracker industry has a lot of explaining to do.

And Navajo Trucking had better start thinking of a new name and logo.
navajo.jpg

Nick, look past what it's on. Agreed the current Cherokee isn't like the last one but should they stop using it to be PC?
That's up for Jeep to decide. If Native Americans are offended by the use of the name, that's fine, we're all able to feel how we feel. It's not like they're filing lawsuits or something. They've just stated their opinion.

I'm ok with it either way.

I really want to ask Mr. Hoskin how, exactly, his people are damaged by this.
I doubt it has anything to do with "damage." It's more likely about someone making big money off that Cherokee name, and Mr. Hoskin wants a piece of it, even though he did not outright say it. He asked for the use of the name to be stopped, but he knows well that this would be very inconvenient for FCA. I'm sure he'll happily accept a big fat check written out to "Cherokee nation" instead.

I doubt it has anything to do with "damage." It's more likely about someone making big money off that Cherokee name, and Mr. Hoskin wants a piece of it, even though he did not outright say it. He asked for the use of the name to be stopped, but he knows well that this would be very inconvenient for FCA. I'm sure he'll happily accept a big fat check written out to "Cherokee nation" instead.
Great point. Working in Legal, I've found that money miraculously cures all ills, spares all feelings, and fixes all problems. People like this are why I got out of litigation.

I really want to ask Mr. Hoskin how, exactly, his people are damaged by this. I could understand his concerns if some dangerous, incapable, underpowered POS had been named after his tribe, but that's not the case. I swear, people clearly WANT to be upset about something when they're willing to reach this far for it.

Meanwhile, if Jeep wants to re-name it "Middle-Aged White Dude Born of French and English Immigrants", I won't be offended.
The "Honky". :LOL:

Indian motorcycle should be worried. The bigger problem is how far can this be pushed. It’s already out of control.

47 years it hasn’t been a problem, but now we all have to be super “woke” and it’s suddenly a problem 🙄

I guess they could give it the ol’ Land O’Lakes treatment and just keep the land...

Already been done. This is the new corporate logo.

logo.jpg

How many people know the back story of Savage Arms?
Savage Arms was founded in 1894 by Arthur Savage in Utica, New York. In 1919, Arthur Savage was approached by Chief Lame Deer to buy rifles for his tribe in New York. Lame Deer offered to allow Savage to use his image as its logo in exchange for discounted rifles and an annual fee. As of 2018, Savage Arms was still paying the annual fee.

Back