Goodbye friend... <3

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Some final words... I've made the decision to replace the Genesis. Not for any reason of the car itself, I just made a spontaneous decision to get a new car. When I get it I will make a post.

My 2015 Hyundai Genesis 5.0L with just shy of 80k miles has been an absolute joy to own. It handled like it was on rails, had great power, and was incredibly comfortable. It feels like I'm writing an obituary!

It was needy. Some of the things it got weren't that bad, but the dealer made all decisions with the extended warranty. New control arms, water pump, a/c compressor and idler pulley, side mirror, transmission mount, sunroof guides, and radiator fan motor all to the tune of around $11k. My average of 28k miles was 19.5 mpg, if possible on the freeway I don't drive under 80 mph so not too bad.

I really couldn't have asked for a nicer driving car. The Cadillac dealer I sold it to gave me $18k which is a bit more than I expected, so not too bad at all. They say I should be able to get a pro-rated amount back on my extended warranty from Hyundai too. Anybody have luck with this?

Farewell pics below. My aunt picked me up from the dealer and when I got in the car she was playing Whitney Houston's "I will always love you" as we drove away :ROFLMAO:

F08C230B-2F43-4832-9E1C-991AC485412A.jpeg

A5C7CDEC-A0F2-4B61-9F6A-115D7E6E8A68.jpeg

Some final words...

It feels like I'm writing an obituary!

I Whitney Houston's "I will always love you" as we drove away :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 66253
View attachment 66254
I just traded my avalanche in. Mine was a unique color. I know what you mean, i felt sorry for it leaving it at the dealer after so long! It was the only vehicle i have ever felt some attachment to. Most cars and trucks are just machines i use, somehow the AV was different.

Post what you get!

What did you originally pay for it again and how long did you have it for those 28k miles?

Still driving two Mercedes E-350's here, one for 7 years and the other for 5 years. Don't think I've spent 11k on both cars in that time frame.

What did you originally pay for it again and how long did you have it for those 28k miles?

Still driving two Mercedes E-350's here, one for 7 years and the other for 5 years. Don't think I've spent 11k on both cars in that time frame.
I spent $20,600 in December 2019.

I wouldn't have spent for those repairs either.

The water pump was necessary. Around $500 at the dealer to have replaced.

The dealer replaced all 8 front control arms for $5k. They said they heard a "clunk". There wasn't a clunk. I would have complained about it.

The mirror motor died, $1,300. I would have found a used replacement.

The transmission mount was definitely bad, shifting felt clunky but after replacement it was silky smooth. Definitely worth it for that one, it wasn't that expensive though.

I had a whining noise (think supercharger) that they replaced the idler pulley, belt tensioner, and A/C compressor to solve. I would have lived with the whine if it was on my dime.

The radiator fan was squeaky. But it squeaked for 25k miles before I told them about it. Could have lived with it (was very faint).

Let me register my guess on the replacement. A Stinger.

Did you sell the Genesis to Earnhart?

Before I clicked on this thread I figured the Camry had finally died 😂
The Camry will never die! I mean unless it gets hit by a bus or something. Now that one I'd really shed a tear!
Let me register my guess on the replacement. A Stinger.

Did you sell the Genesis to Earnhart?
I'll keep you all in suspense.

Sold to Coulter Tempe. Should be on their site soon. It won't need any repairs.

Just my guess but a Stinger won't seem very refined after the Genesis, although it should be a riot. I don't know your taste in cars though.

The Arteon is close to an Audi but you'd have a warranty and VW ownership costs instead of German luxury bills. I'm convinced the Alfa Romeo Giulia may be one of the best driver's sedans available but I've not had a chance to drive one yet, ownership costs would be high though warranty can come into play.

Have fun keep us posted on the search some of us really enjoy those threads.

Nick you sound like a Subaru owner. $11,000.00 in 6 years, but it was a great car.
Yeah but it was $2.6k in the end. The warranty covered that $11k of (questionable) repairs, and in the end, $20.6k - 18k trade-in for a net cost of $2,600. To drive a car he liked. [Probably had tires and other costs, plus ins, reg etc.].

$2,600 over a year and a half of ownership, 28k of driving, for less than 10c/m depreciation? It usually takes me 10 years to hit that kind of cost per mile. That vehicle ain’t for me, and I sure would be miffed at so many repairs, but on a TCO basis? I’m not so sure he did so bad.

Back