Good Toyota Video/Info! I’ll stick to my 5k OCI’s

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one really good mechanic I follow. Just wanted to share this video with y’all. I know there are a lot of 10k, 20k mi. synthetics out there nowadays, but who the hell would do that to their cars anyways? Jeez how lazy can one be? Oil changes are easy and very cheap to do on your own. Think about it how back in the days we had 3k OCI’s! I’ll keep doing my OC’s at 5k thank you😁

This is one really good mechanic I follow. Just wanted to share this video with y’all. I know there are a lot of 10k, 20k mi. synthetics out there nowadays, but who the hell would do that to their cars anyways? Jeez how lazy can one be? Oil changes are easy and very cheap to do on your own. Think about it how back in the days we had 3k OCI’s! I’ll keep doing my OC’s at 5k thank you😁

How lazy can one be? I don’t know, lazy enough to not notice there’s a 10 page thread based off the very same subject posted this week? Now that’s lazy. 🤣🤣

I don't know, @tig1 has been doing 10k mi changes for decades with good results. Maybe he's the exception. But I doubt I'll get passed 5k. I don't have the willpower.

I agree, good youtube channel.

I've never changed the oil in my Toyota in less than 10k miles. I've gone as long as 18k miles.
I've had my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser with gasoline 4.0L V61GR-FE w/DOHC and VVTi. It is my daily driver and has been for almost 14 yrs. Engine has 220k miles. Its never burned or leaked oil. Its never throw a code or been in a shop. I've posted its 13 UOA report results here on BITOG. Owners manual says to change it every 5k. What a waste that would be.

I didn't watch the entire video but there was a part where he stressed that dealers only use the cheapest bulk oil available. If you're going to run extended drains you need an oil built for that purpose.
And the cheapest filters. I'm no fan of extended drain intervals because my engine is GDI, doesn't matter if the oil can retain it's properties if it's full of fuel and carbon soot. RIP to your timing chains.

And the cheapest filters. I'm no fan of extended drain intervals because my engine is GDI, doesn't matter if the oil can retain it's properties if it's full of fuel and carbon soot. RIP to your timing chains.
I feel the same. Really depends on the application etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back