Good Solar-ONLY calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Im looking for a couple small (credit card size) SOLAR ONLY calculators to carry around in the cars, etc for doing MPG calculations, etc.

Most every calculator they make these days is "dual power", which IMO is a load of crap... whats the point of having the solar on there at all?

I know they used to make nice solar calculators that worked well in low light. my father has one that he bought at Sears in about 1977, which he still keeps in the glove compartment of the car, and even when its 20 degrees out, and at night, with only the dome light or gas station light on, he can still operate the calculator, as the solar cells are good.

none of the casio or sharp ones available at normal retailers have that ability these days.

Any suggestions for a real, good, solar only calculator?

If I want anything else... Ill use my TI-82 or TI-89... I only need the standard functions, and an efficient solar cell.

Thanks!

JMH

TI-30 solar will do you just fine. Heck, anything made by TI will be more than enough. Their solar calcs are great. Personally, I own a TI-36X Solar for statistical calculations, but thats overkill for basic MPG functions.

Their basic calcs are all dual power. What about just using a cell phone calc? That's what i normally use.

If you carry a cell why not just use the typical built in calculator? Its my tool of choice for what you describe.

but I like solar powered stuff... Its just a fun acquisition
smile.gif

I think I have a 36x... Its a good calc, not dual power but it powers up quick.

JMH

We've had good success with Casio and Sharp. Casio's numbers are usually a bit larger, if that is important to you. Both run between $5 and $7 or so.

we have an OLD casio solar that has been great, still works 100%, but any that have been bought in the last 5 years or so stink... theyre probably not made by casio.

JMH

quote:

Most every calculator they make these days is "dual power", which IMO is a load of crap... whats the point of having the solar on there at all?

Can you buy a dual power and just leave the batteries out? I suspect that the dual power option is to reassure buyers who are concerned about being able to use solar calculators under occasional low light conditions.

After using Texas Instruments for 11 years in elementary, Middle and high school, I have to say I should of used Casio products like I did in 12th grade in High school. I still use them today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back