Good snack combo

Pistachios, pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate. You may want to throw in sunflower seeds, However, the pistachios by themselves already contain all nine essential amino acids that your body can't make. Nuts and seeds should be raw and unsalted. You can always add salt if you must. The chocolate is Guittard dark baking chocolate. Despite the French founder's name this is a US company out of Burlingame, CA.

Last edited:
Never eat raw cashews. Never. They need to be roasted.

The reason is they are distant cousins to poison ivy and the raw nuts contain irritants related to urushiol. The liquid around the raw nuts when still on the plant has the same property. You don't want that stuff on your skin, in your mouth, or in your stomach. In fact, raw cashews are hard to find in stores.

Those irritants cook away in roasting and then the cashews are perfectly safe.

This probably isn't the only nut that needs cooking for safety's sake.

Never eat raw cashews. Never. They need to be roasted.

The reason is they are distant cousins to poison ivy and the raw nuts contain irritants related to urushiol. The liquid around the raw nuts when still on the plant has the same property. You don't want that stuff on your skin, in your mouth, or in your stomach. In fact, raw cashews are hard to find in stores.

Those irritants cook away in roasting and then the cashews are perfectly safe.

This probably isn't the only nut that needs cooking for safety's sake.
All the cashews, which are not nuts, have been steamed or roasted to remove trace amounts of urushiol that come from the shell. The FDA would not allow the sale of toxic cashews. They might as well allow the sale of poison ivy salad, sparkling hemlock water, and belladonna jam.

Are raw cashews really raw?

Speaking of nuts and poison ivy, should you get poison ivy or poison oak on your skin, do not take a shower, especially not a hot one. Water will spread the toxin. Instead, wipe the affected areas down with rubbing alcohol on a rag as soon as possible. You have a 15-minute window before it's too late. The alcohol lets you remove the oily toxin. Seems to work better than Tecnu and similar commercial products that work better for washing your contaminated gear and clothes. Don't get poison oak/ivy in your eyes or on your privates!

Last edited:
The company I worked for fixed Guittard's forklifts for around 15 years then I quit, but any way I have been in every square inch of the warehouse and manufacturing plant. I have met the Guittard family [ they are serious about their products] when they were roaming the plant. or when needed to sign the repair paperwork. Guittard uses the highest quality blend of beans and highest quality ingredients. The chocolate plant and warehouse are clean, spotless from top to bottom and front to back ! Guittard's products are of the highest quality.

Our go-to snack from Costco. ;)
1660590007399.jpg

This time I have mixed pistachios, almonds, pepitas, sunflower seeds, cacao nibs, and fresh Black Mission figs.

Last edited:
there are NO good snacks as consuming most anything especially carbs between regular meals is another blood sugar spike requiring insulin to lower it!! most nuts are decent BUT best consumed at mealtime!!! if possible you should eat NO more than 3 times daily or less in a time restricted manner so your body can burn excess stored glycogen + clean your fatty liver + pancreas most people have!!

Last edited:
Back