Good price for a Movado Museum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: dparm
If you can find a watch with a Valjoux 7750, you're basically going to find a COSC-certified chronometre for 1/4 the price of a Rolex.

Bulova and many others did and still do use base 7750's they are mostly base grade movements that are no where near top or COSC grade although Bulova did order them with incabloc for some pieces.

Breitling, Tudor (owned by Rolex), Omega, etc, modify the COSC grade even further to improve quality and performance.

I like ebel for their Cal 137 which is an a COSC grade in house movement that is so good Breguet uses it in their type XX and more recently is being used by Ulysse Nardin.

The 7750 was born in 1975 IIRC to be a work horse not a high end movement, it takes a lot of work to get it past that.

You might find this interesting.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/smoke-mirrors-part-1-eta-grades-explained-458060.html

http://www.fratellowatches.com/ebel-1911-btr-chronograph-interesting-but-rarely-seen/

Yep, I remember that WUS thread well. A regulated 7750, even in low-end form, is often just as good as the COSC ones but without the ridiculous markup. Heck, I have a Chinese Unitas that I've regulated to within a few seconds a day.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Who did you buy it from on Tortola? Was it one of the bigger names, or one of the Arab/Indian shops? We shop down there a lot, and there can be shady business.

Hope you got the real deal. I'm personally not interested in quartz watches beyond a Seiko kinetic. I prefer mechanical, and preferably Rolex. I have my eye on a green dial submariner and a miligauss.

We bought the watch at Little Switzerland

Then it is the real deal. I'd be concerned with the Arab shops in the back allies, and some of the other names, but they are legit.

Yep i have a couple of Accutrons with the 7750, they are not base but not top either.
The are pretty accurate but more temperature sensitive then the top grades.
They are a very good movement no collection would be complete without a couple of them and other ETA mechanicals.

I picked up a Bulova Chrono (pre Citizen, the real Bulovas) a few years ago and had a nice surprise. It has a ETA thermo compensated 251.232 inside, a high end 27 jewel quartz.
There really are some quartz movements that have a soul and definitely worth owning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back