Good or bad tire dealer info ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The brand of tire is discussed a lot here, but it might be helpful if you share your experiences at local tire dealers.

These are are in CT. (USA)

Good ..
Pete's Tire Barn -- (Large New England chain store, most of their business is large trucks) Installed price is less than TireRack delivered price. He tells you what time to come, and tires are already in the bay when you get there. "old skool" guy who is proud of his work and shows you how he can perfectly balance an alloy wheel with only one weight.

Bad..
Sears -- All tires supposed to be on sale, but clerk insists that only the tires listed in flyer are on sale and it was not his job to look up the sale price for other tires.

Town Fair Tire ( CT chain store)-- Clerk insists that you need an alignment before he looks at the car, and installer breaks two wheel studs.

Ugly..
Firestone -- Takes at least 4 hours even if no one else is there, and they keep trying to up-sell other services. Fortunately, I never crashed when they went flat.

Big car companies losing money is not new. In 2001, Ford lost $5.07 billion. Some of that might have been due to their choice of using Firestone tires.
http://www.forbes.com/2001/06/20/tireindex.html

Good: Goodyear. I always have good luck with them.

Bad: General Tire. Tires lasted 15,000 miles. Are they still around?

John

Belle Tire- good luck so far, good service( waited an hour for two cars) Tires seem to be good (Kelly Navs/Sumos HTRs).

Discount Tire-I wanted to upsize my wagon's tires...and they still put the wrong size on (not even OE)...but-they charged me the cheaper price for the tire I wanted, so it was cool....

Stay far away from Mavis Tire. I'm not sure if the crossed the L.I. sound but if they did stay clear.

In Minnesota, i have used tires plus, eeeeeeeeek run fast as you can from them!

I have used discount tires and have been very pleased with them.

Before discount tires, i used a family run place and they were great right up until they sold out!

Originally Posted By: John_K
General Tire... Are they still around?

John

The brand is now owned by Continental AG. The current tires seem to get pretty good reviews.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
In Minnesota, i have used tires plus, eeeeeeeeek run fast as you can from them!

I have used discount tires and have been very pleased with them.

Before discount tires, i used a family run place and they were great right up until they sold out!
I use Tires Plus (AKA Michel Tire) all the time here-it seriously depends on the location, the one here in Cincinnati (Tri-County Mall)'s mgr. sets me up all the time w/Bridgestone (NO JUNK FIRESTONES!), I've had good luck w/America's/Discount Tire Co. as well. If you find a good one, be sure to support them-there's a LOT of thieves out there!!!

Sears was inept at ordering tires or telling me the order status when I reordered tires and scheduled installation. I show up for the tires, clerk can't find tires...ooh they didn't come in...next day...ooh they didn't come in...next day...ooh they didn't get ordered...next day...manager: we can't get those tires, we don't deal with that brand anymore, I can order something else... LOOK, I've been on a spare for a week thanks to you, learn how to order right the first time and go F yourself.

local shop was $10/tire cheaper and had them next day. The same local shop beats costco's prices and will install any size you'd like. been going there ever since

Sears did that same thing to me with struts for my truck. Oh were sorry, we ordered the wrong ones, it will be another 3 days. I said, that's ok, I'll go elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Lots of Sears issues it seems...
Ron White would agree with you. *See link.

I've been very satisfied with Discount Tire.

*Warning, Ron's language may be offensive to some.

Ron White, Tire Guy at Sears.

Yeah, I love hearing him go on about the graduate of "tire university" that took care of his van for him...
LOL.gif

Honestly, it can be awfully hard to paint with this broad of a brush. One poster indicated to run from Tires Plus. My experience is that the manager of whatever chain makes all the difference. Case in point: Found a Tires Plus with great service and honest advice. Steered a lot of my business there. The manger moved to a new location. Shortly thereafter, several of the techs went too. Didn't know the change had taken place until I went in for service later and got an insane estimate on some work. After one of the techs told me what had happened, I ran... to the location where the manager I liked had gone. Still go there for service I don't want to or can't do myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back