good oil for a buick 3800 series II supercharged??

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a grand prix gtp, whats a good oil to use, i've been using supertech synthetic..not bad oil, but i've been thinking of going back to the factory recom shell dino any thought

Ditto the GC recommendation. Just out of curiosity, what model year is the car & what oil viscosity does Pontiac recommend for the engine?

Quote:

2000 grand prix 10w30 shell

Yep, I'd use GC year-round in this application. No worries.
ooo.gif

If your manual calls for a 30 weight oil, GC 0W30 would be the best for a supercharged engine year-round.
patriot.gif

Quote:

If your manual calls for a 30 weight oil, GC 0W30 would be the best for a supercharged engine year-round.
patriot.gif

really why would i go out of the norm from what the gm recommends would'nt they know whats best for the engine since they build it, i'm not trying to sound like a smart #@$%! just trying to learn as i go thanks

bond007

These engines spec conventional 10w30 (I have the L67 also) the advantage over other grades is shearing (thinning) vs a conventional 5w30. With synthetic oil, shearing is much less of an issue and the thinner oil at startup will aid in less wear in colder temperatures.

Now your original question. These engines are easy on oil and you can use anything with success. The only way to know for certain what your engine likes, due to outside temps & driving habbits etc, is to do a used oil analysis (UOA). I used to have success with the oil Mobil 1 (SL) formula, lately no so good and may be switching to another oil after 140k.

It runs as good as the day I bought it. Get's good highway mileage and it's been reliable, doesn't use much oil (0.5qt over 5k) between changes either.

awesome sounds very reliable these engines seem great,General Motors rock...so do Fords Dodge and Chevy!!

GC and even good old Chevron Supreme have done very well in my 3800s. If you're not into racing and modifications I think Chevron would work great for you.

Quote:

offtopic.gif

How hard is it to change the supercharger oil?
confused.gif

it's very easy there is a black snout on the nose of the supercharger just open it and drain oil i used a sprayer from an old windex bottle worked great, make sure you get out all the oil and buy the new oil from the dealer, BTW the supercharger oil smells like #@$%!

I had a Regal GS w/ the SC 3800. Great Car & Engine. The car is easy on oil and liked pretty much anything I put in it. I thought it ran very well on Valvoline Syn. the one time I used it.

I had a 97 GTP as well, with just a 3.4" pulley and a 9" cone K&N filter (instead of the very restrictive stock airbox) it ran 13.78 at 100mph! (on all season radials too) That car was a lot of fun actually, I used to surprise the heck out of 5.0 Mustangs all the time. They'd never expect this bone stock looking four door family car to run so quick.

I ran Mobil 1 5w30 in the winter, and Mobil 1 10w30 the rest of the time in it. I wasn't doing UOAs back then though. I did change the blower oil once and bond007 is right, that stuff smells nasty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back