Good oil filter wrench?

Uncle Dave said above, "Huh?"

I went to the tool company's website and saw that the Facom/USAG U46 wrench you pictured on your table comes with a replacement strap.

It's always about access with oil filters.

My BMW has a normal, non-reusable oil filter. So any type of wrench should be ok I think.
Which X3 has a canister filter?

Unless the newest model has changed things drastically, every X3 has a cartridge with a plastic cap.

Even my 1987 735i used a Purolator filter housing and cartridge filter.

After the Facom/USAG wrench, the lisle/ channel lock style is my next go to.

The cap wrenches Im ready to give away, but if you've got a cartridge filter you have no choice

View attachment 34991
I like the 7-11 brake fluid lol. And you’re the first person I know to not like the cap sockets lol I like them because they don’t destroy the filter when you are trying to take it off.

Uncle Dave said above, "Huh?"

I went to the tool company's website and saw that the Facom/USAG U46 wrench you pictured on your table comes with a replacement strap.

It's always about access with oil filters.

hmm must be a new offering, I know the manual screw type comes with one, but not this one...

Maybe I got gypped..

Im trying to imagine how one could wear it out.

Last edited:
I like the 7-11 brake fluid lol. And you’re the first person I know to not like the cap sockets lol I like them because they don’t destroy the filter when you are trying to take it off.

Haha - story - the 7-11 brake fluid was bought on the road when a brand new 10K boat trailer wasn't bled properly from the manufacturer and by the time I hit the ramp the surge system was banging against the stops - GRRRRR!

On the cap filters all my friends brought me every rusted on problem they ever had and I have them strip.
Maybe if I had normal jobs come to me Id be more of a fan.

Attachments

• IMG_7940.jpeg
    IMG_7940.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7968.jpeg
    IMG_7968.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7950.jpeg
    IMG_7950.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7947.jpeg
    IMG_7947.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 7
Haha - story - the 7-11 brake fluid was bought on the road when a brand new 10K boat trailer wasn't bled properly from the manufacturer and by the time I hit the ramp the surge system was banging against the stops - GRRRRR!

On the cap filters all my friends brought me every rusted on problem they ever had and I have them strip.
Maybe if I had normal jobs come to me Id be more of a fan.
Very nice. I’ve been lucky enough to never strip an oil filter lol

UD said above,"Im trying to imagine how one could wear it out."

I thought the same thing. The brief video shows a guy stretching it out and snapping it shut twice.
The metal strap seemed thin in the video.
It made me think it was a cheap hunk of tape measure with holes on the ends which will tear like 3 ring binder paper.

I'll bet a tool like that works OK but will last only because you can reach many filters with other, slimmer tools or your hands first.

Use it all day long and it'll break in a week. Don't get me wrong. If it's good, it's good. Seems chunky too.

Very nice. I’ve been lucky enough to never strip an oil filter lol
UD said above,"Im trying to imagine how one could wear it out."

I thought the same thing. The brief video shows a guy stretching it out and snapping it shut twice.
The metal strap seemed thin in the video.
It made me think it was a cheap hunk of tape measure with holes on the ends which will tear like 3 ring binder paper.

I'll bet a tool like that works OK but will last only because you can reach many filters with other, slimmer tools or your hands first.

Use it all day long and it'll break in a week. Don't get me wrong. If it's good, it's good. Seems chunky too.

It's thicker than it appears and must have taken off 100 filters in 3 years at the shop.

I like to surprise my guys with a cool new tool every now and then and marine stuff tends to to rust so I'm always on the lookout for a new mousetrap.

IMG_3385.jpeg

It's thicker than it appears and must have taken off 100 filters in 3 years at the shop.

I like to surprise my guys with a cool new tool every now and then and marine stuff tends to to rust so I'm always on the lookout for a new mousetrap.

View attachment 35030
Dang that’s a lot of boats. I’m a couple hundred miles from the coast over here lol I have worked on my dads friends boat that lives at the local lake though.

Dang that’s a lot of boats. I’m a couple hundred miles from the coast over here lol I have worked on my dads friends boat that lives at the local lake though.
We only build a handful of new ones a year these days, but do lots of service work, and upgrades / modifications to existing boats.

Im a partner in the boat company, and run a small electronics company in Northern California.

In the winter we go to the sand dunes and in the summer we boat. This means Im constantly in a cycle of everything I haven being broken some way......

We made a custom fiberglass body for Polaris RZR's a few years ago.

Attachments

• body+kit+1 copy.jpg
    body+kit+1 copy.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 2
  • body+kit+4.jpg
    body+kit+4.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2
  • body+kit+2.jpg
    body+kit+2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2
  • body+kit+3.jpg
    body+kit+3.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 2
We only build a handful of new ones a year these days, but do lots of service work, and upgrades / modifications to existing boats.

Im a partner in the boat company, and run a small electronics company in Northern California.

In the winter we go to the sand dunes and in the summer we boat. This means Im constantly in a cycle of everything I haven being broken some way......

We made a custom fiberglass body for Polaris RZR's a few years ago.
That’s awesome

That’s awesome

Its a ton of fun- we pulled it apart and went through it a few years ago and turned up its clocking it at about 250 ponies now. Found all the weak posts in the driveline (mainly the clutching system)

Sucks having to run race gas though.

I was putting some heat into her.

IMG_7404.jpeg

Worked a few days in the Natour boat factory in Sweden a long while ago. They had full platforming at gunwale height. It was cool.
Do you know there's a truck on your floor in post #28?

Worked a few days in the Natour boat factory in Sweden a long while ago. They had full platforming at gunwale height. It was cool.
Do you know there's a truck on your floor in post #28?
Oh ...look at that little thing....thats the shop diesel dually.

Perm platforms are cool.

We not nearly big enough and our work is everything from a jet ski to a 40 foot cat, so we have mobile performs, and can set boats fully on the ground and and use a lot of boat sized dollies

After the Facom/USAG wrench, the lisle/ channel lock style is my next go to.

The cap wrenches Im ready to give away, but if you've got a cartridge filter you have no choice

View attachment 34991
I have never been impressed with filter wrenches that require significant clearance around the perimeter.

Thinking it would be a great tool to have when needed, I bought a strap style filter wrench a long, long time ago. I tried using it once and it was cumbersome, and had to be constantly loosened and retightened because of interference with other items around the filter. After sitting in my toolbox for a couple decades, rarely used because it wasn't practical for almost every application, it ended up being donated to the local thrift store.

I've had great luck with the self adjusting clamps that grip the filter from the end. But any more I've migrated towards the cap style. I have one for each size I need. The disadvantage is if you work with a lot of different filter sizes, you would have to have a cap for each one. That would be a pain in the **$.

Its a ton of fun- we pulled it apart and went through it a few years ago and turned up its clocking it at about 250 ponies now. Found all the weak posts in the driveline (mainly the clutching system)

Sucks having to run race gas though.

I was putting some heat into her.

View attachment 35036
Great. I run race gas in some of my vehicles a local station sells it near me for the little race track that’s out in the country not too far from me. I can imagine in California that’s hard to get though.

I have never been impressed with filter wrenches that require significant clearance around the perimeter.

Thinking it would be a great tool to have when needed, I bought a strap style filter wrench a long, long time ago. I tried using it once and it was cumbersome, and had to be constantly loosened and retightened because of interference with other items around the filter. After sitting in my toolbox for a couple decades, rarely used because it wasn't practical for almost every application, it ended up being donated to the local thrift store.

I've had great luck with the self adjusting clamps that grip the filter from the end. But any more I've migrated towards the cap style. I have one for each size I need. The disadvantage is if you work with a lot of different filter sizes, you would have to have a cap for each one. That would be a pain in the **$.

I totally understand what you mean.

Whats not really easily discernible is that this works like a ratchet and bites on very little swing under 10 degrees Id guess.

I have the standard HyperTough pliers that work well for my Honda and can adjust for bigger filters if necessary. However several people I know prefer the Kobalt PVC pliers from Lowes. They suggest these pliers are more robust and grab better than my walmart pliers. Regardless, IME the pliers type are preferred if space allows.

Screenshot_20201125-182047_Chrome.jpg

Back