Good oil filter wrench?

Hey guys,
I got a very stubborn oil filter on my BMW X3. I do my own oil maintenance so I'm looking for a sturdy oil filter wrench to make the job easier.
I looked on Amazon and Google and found various models and reviews. Do you have a recommendation?

Thank you!

Which was the type you were looking for? I have some of the claw type and the pliers type and cup type it just depends what applications you are using it for I’m assuming it’s canister cartridge so you would need the one for it specifically.

These us a cartridge filter so you cap socket. The best is from Hazet then the MotivX.

I see Roofless has the same thought.

With the recommendation of Trav, I put this on my 2019 Christmas wish list:

I got 2 of them, best wrench ever. Just because you need one size now doesn't mean it will be good for your next car. This one fits them all.

Ratchets in both directions.

$60 + shipping from 92020, new in box, made in Germany, never used.

Last edited:
With the recommendation of Trav, I put this on my 2019 Christmas wish list:

I got 2 of them, best wrench ever. Just because you need one size now doesn't mean it will be good for your next car. This one fits them all.

Ratchets in both directions.

$60 + shipping from 92020, new in box, made in Germany, never used.
You would be ill advised to use that on a plastic filter cap.

After the Facom/USAG wrench, the lisle/ channel lock style is my next go to.

The cap wrenches Im ready to give away, but if you've got a cartridge filter you have no choice

IMG_0907.jpeg

View attachment 35003
I've had the best results with this type. Mine is a hyper tough from Walmart so the brand may not be as important as the design
I went through at least a half dozen of that type from Lisle, etc. All were failures. Yes, the design does matter. Look at the Hazet above. It has a non-slip geared design, not a spring like the others, and serrated arms that grab the filter. You get what you pay for

Last edited:
My BMW has a normal, non-reusable oil filter. So any type of wrench should be ok I think.

Back