Good news for Diesel Engines (US)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring it on. I will buy one as soon as they hit the market place. I think Toyota and Nissan should also bring their diesels to the US market.

it would be great for more diesel cars and suv's to reach the american market. my fiance really likes the pilot, maybe they will throw one in that.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
I think Toyota and Nissan should also bring their diesels to the US market.

Both companies did at one time (early '80s) and, though mechanically reliable, they ultimately flopped.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
I think Toyota and Nissan should also bring their diesels to the US market.

Both companies did at one time (early '80s) and, though mechanically reliable, they ultimately flopped.

Both were low powered. The Euro version of the Accord diesel gets rave reviews for performance, economy and civility. The Europeone Accord is sold as the Acura TSX here. The TSX would be natural for diesel in the US. Acura already has the logistics in place to support the TSX and it's well proven in Europe and Japan.

GM can put a 6.6L duramax diesel in a 3/4 ton 4x4 pick up that can get 25MPG on the highway. That same truck has enough torque to tow something like 3x what a half-ton with a 4.7L gas engine can pull.

Why can't they build a 5L diesel capable of pulling what a 4.7L gasser can, and put it in a 1/2 ton truck that will get over 30MPG on the highway.

I, like tons of people, generally drive my half ton empty to work and back and get around 16MPG. I'll buy the small displacement diesel 1/2 ton that gets 30MPG tomorrow if they make one.

I just don't get why they don't do it.

Quote from Honda's website

Full page URL : Click Here for full article

2010 Vision" - Commitment for the Future (Environmental Initiatives)

In conjunction with plans to grow its operations through 2010, Honda will seek to further reduce the environmental footprint of its products and production activities. Honda has long been committed to reducing the environmental impact of its products and operations through increased fuel efficiency, development of advanced environmental technologies, reduction of harmful emissions and elimination of waste. In accordance with this effort, the company will undertake the following activities:

On a global basis, Honda will introduce an all-new, more affordable, dedicated hybrid car to be launched in North America in 2009. This new hybrid vehicle, to be produced at Honda's Suzuka plant in Japan, will have an annual North American sales volume target of 100,000 units (200,000 units worldwide) and a target price significantly lower than the current Civic Hybrid.

Based on its highly successful direct injection diesel engine technology, currently offered in Europe, Honda will introduce in the U.S. and Canada within three years a new 4-cylinder diesel engine that meets the U.S. EPA's stringent Tier 2 BIN 5 emissions standards.

In addition to new vehicle introductions, Honda will seek to achieve top-level fuel economy for existing models with the aim of improving Honda's already industry-leading Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) by five percent in 2010, from its 29.2 mpg 2005 model year CAFE rating for passenger cars and light trucks. This effort will include new products and technologies and the previously announced commitment to introduce within the next two years a more advanced version of Honda's four-cylinder i-VTEC(TM) technology with up to a 13 percent improvement in fuel efficiency over 2005 levels, and a more advanced Variable Cylinder Management(TM) (VCM) technology for six-cylinder engines with up to an 11 percent improvement in fuel efficiency versus the current VCM system in the Honda Odyssey minivan and Honda Pilot sport utility vehicle.

Honda began operations in the U.S. in 1959 with the establishment of American Honda Motor Co., Inc., Honda's first overseas subsidiary. Honda began U.S. production operations in 1979. Prior to today's announcement, Honda had invested more than $8.5 billion in its North American operations with 13 major manufacturing plants, employment of more than 33,000 associates and the annual purchase of more than $16 billion in parts and materials from suppliers in North America. Nearly 8 of 10 Honda and Acura cars and light trucks sold in America are produced in North America.

Honda will probably do it. The problem is that you would have to buy that diesel powered car from a Honda dealer. The best thing about a Honda is that it's a Honda. The worst think about a Honda is having to deal with a Honda dealer. But everyone is right, if Honda tackled a diesel for cars, a lot more people would notice. When you say Mercedes or VW diesel, a lot of people think of a car that stinks and spends a lot of time in the shop. Back in the 70's, someone traded me a VW Rabbit diesel for practically nothing because it kept breaking down. It smoked and broke down a lot. I had to park it out on the driveway because our laundry started to smell like diesel fuel. After driving it a while, I gave it away. The neighbors were happy, again.

I've had four Honda cars. The dealer here takes good care of us. I'm driving a Toyota now and I find that I know more than the service advisors. I miss the Honda guys...

GM has a new line of diesel V6s on the way as well. They are supposed to meet the new emissions standards and be available in the US.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
GM has a new line of diesel V6s on the way as well. They are supposed to meet the new emissions standards and be available in the US.

Let's hope this isn't like their previus diesel car misadventure where the cars were designed to convince Americans that diesel cars weren't any good.

quote:

Originally posted by Blake Sobiloff:
I want the VW Toureg V10 TDI--big horsepower (over 300) and over 30 MPG on the highway. **** California and its draconian laws!

If you buy a diesel with over 7000 miles, you can register it in California.

My prediction will be that the US EPA and the respective Honda/Toyota USA will tack on so many "things" that they will not be practical in terms of costs. They will be only offered in high end trim levels that add thousands to the tab ..since they perceive that only top tier buyers will fork out the added ante for the diesel. This will shut out sensible commuters that want higher MPG ..but don't want to pay a premium to save fuel ..at higher ulitmate costs.

I'll crap myself or go blind if they offer a stripped diesel that actually will save money when compared to a gasoline offering of the same size in total costs of ownership.

They still don't want diesels here.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
My prediction will be that the US EPA and the respective Honda/Toyota USA will tack on so many "things" that they will not be practical in terms of costs. They will be only offered in high end trim levels that add thousands to the tab ..since they perceive that only top tier buyers will fork out the added ante for the diesel. This will shut out sensible commuters that want higher MPG ..but don't want to pay a premium to save fuel ..at higher ulitmate costs.

I'll crap myself or go blind if they offer a stripped diesel that actually will save money when compared to a gasoline offering of the same size in total costs of ownership.

They still don't want diesels here.

I'm not quite as jaded as you
smile.gif
, but I do expect Honda to introduce their first US diesel as an Acura, which would fit your predicted premium pricing scheme.

There is another good reason for that though, the TLX Acura is a rebadged Euro/Japan Accord so the US distributers and Acura dealers would only be dealing with a new engine and fuel system. A lot less trouble that adding a diesel to a US Accord/Acura TL or other US built Honda.

OTOH, that new to the US smaller than a Civic Honda is imported. so importing the diesel version too would make sense.

The newer "performance" diesels are indeed expensive. Making a diesel is already a bit more expensive than building a gasser, but then you add-on a turbo or two and the costs really escalate.

We'll start seeing a lot of new diesels on the market shortly. This will coincide with the intorduction on low-sulphur diesel fuel in the US, which is required for any of these engines to have a chance on meeting tough emission regulations.

Since CA is such a large market, with very tough smog laws, manufacturers are reluctant to introduce vehicles that can't be sold in states that follow CA emission standards. They'd rather wait and introduce vehicles that can be sold in all 50 states, and that time is approaching.

I personally can't wait, though I'm not in a position to buy a vehicle any time soon. But when I'm ready, a diesel will be on the consideration list for sure.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:

Let's hope this isn't like their previus diesel car misadventure where the cars were designed to convince Americans rthat diesel cars weren't any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back