Good News about Cat Converter Thefts

The issue is most of these convertor thefts are not Joe Smith bringing them to the local scrap yard, it is organized rings like in the OP where the converters are being shipped out of the country.

My sister had the convertor sawzall'ed off her 2003 Acura about 6 months ago while it was parked at a shopping plaza. When she notified the police, they told her 60 cars in the same area were affected that night. That isn't a few guys with a sawzall.
Of course. As the laws get stricter, it takes organization to make money on crime. That's exactly what my posts have said.
The cat thefts around here were cut way back until organization took over the business. And in CA you have to replace a cat with one certified for your vehicle. I used to get a new cat installed for $80. Now it can be $400 and up. A year ago I paid like $500 for a '98 Accord 4 banger cat replacement.

The issue is most of these convertor thefts are not Joe Smith bringing them to the local scrap yard, it is organized rings like in the OP where the converters are being shipped out of the country.

My sister had the convertor sawzall'ed off her 2003 Acura about 6 months ago while it was parked at a shopping plaza. When she notified the police, they told her 60 cars in the same area were affected that night. That isn't a few guys with a sawzall.
+2

Where my brother lives (Colorado), the common understanding is that most that stolen cats there wind up in Mexico. That's probably not a do-it-yourselfer with a sawzall.

We had a "good ol boy" locally a few years ago. Single man and sometimes spent nights with his G/F. They kept breaking into his house when gone.

One night he was home when they did it again. He ran outside after 3 of them with a 12 gauge shotgun. He tripped and fell and covered 1 of them's backside with birdshot. Had to go in front of a grand jury. and they found him innocent.

One of my Daughter's friends is a paramedic that came to the scene and hauled him to the hospital. She said his backside was a mess.
All I could say, was Donnie needed to trip 2 more times, for the other 2!

I sat beside him in the local bar and bought him a beer one night. Asked what shot size the dude was hit with. He changed the subject and would not talk about it. Thank God I live in a rural area and they found him innocent. I think most people here, do not believe he fell, but it worked out for the best anyway.

Of course. As the laws get stricter, it takes organization to make money on crime. That's exactly what my posts have said.
The cat thefts around here were cut way back until organization took over the business. And in CA you have to replace a cat with one certified for your vehicle. I used to get a new cat installed for $80. Now it can be $400 and up. A year ago I paid like $500 for a '98 Accord 4 banger cat replacement.
Ahh yeah I forgot about the CARB specific cats. That could easily total some vehicles. I was able to put a universal cat and O2 sensor (they were nice enough to cut that off too) on my sister's car, but the bolt-on replacement part for the car would cost more than the car is worth.

They need to go after them like they do with Diesel delete folks. Since that is what the thieves are doing, an emissions delete. So it should be way more than just theft. Was there any talk of $ recovery from them? If so it needs to go to the people that had their cat stolen and other damages that happened during.

Thank God I live in a rural area and they found him innocent. I think most people here, do not believe he fell, but it worked out for the best anyway.
Good thing he was found innocent, however this highlights how the law is heavily slanted towards protecting criminals. When you have to rely on luck or your quick thinking to stay out of trouble for simply protecting yourself and your property, you know something is wrong.

Cops can shoot people in the back and any other way they want. All they need is fear of a threat, whether real or imagined is irrelevant. And these are supposedly trained professionals.
But a citizen is required, under stress and duress of a home invasion or a personal threat scenario, to restrain himself/herself and think if the law allows them a certain action or not. Totally ridiculous.

Nobody wants legit cats. I have one I took off a mid 2000's Duramax years ago, cant sell it, nobody buys what they can steal.

Perhaps it's because emissions enforcement is done passively at the lowest cost possible? Stealing a CAT may be no different than stealing rims in the eyes of local law enforcement. It takes a lot of thefts before someone suspects a ring and when they do they want to catch everyone. That can take a long time.
I think you are right. Case in point.

We were selling an old Ford E250 delivery van at work around mid February in Minnesota. I put it in Craigslist and 3 days later at 4:30AM as a worker was pulling in to the back lot where employees park. He went to park and noticed a car driving off the other side exit to the back lot. He parked next to the van, and noticed the light dusting of snow that night was disturbed with jacket/body imprints on the side and under the van. He looked under and saw a hanging exhaust. So when I came in at 6AM he said the cats were stolen and I saw a car driving off, but did not think anything of it as sometimes people work late on 2nd shift. After the cats were gone he thought I wonder if that was them. We looked at the cameras and we saw the guy was under the car and our guys lights gave him enough time to get out from under the car and jump in the passenger seat and be driving off by the time our guy got to the back of the building.

I went to start it up to see if they got it. It was LOUD so they got it. I did a quick look under and saw the hanging mid pipe. I called the cops and they said we can't do much, and yes it is a problem. A cop called me from his squad and filled a report as they don't come out for cat theft. He talked about business putting in entry way post cameras to get plates. The police report was filed and case closed for the most part at the end of the call. 8:30AM. I went back out and looked at the body prints more when it became light out and notice both sides had body prints. So I looked closer and they got the driver cat, but they only were 1/2 of the last pipe away from getting the passenger cat. I thought these guys will be back, I thought possible meth heads with no brains. Their greed and stupidity will make them come back, it will bug them they were only 1/2 cut away from getting the 2nd cat. Our guy did not take chase, and they saw him park like he saw nothing.

I talked to my boss about buying a trail camera and trying to catch these guys and he denied it. I ended up calling the CFO and asked if I can spend $300 for a trail cam since I really think these guys will be back. He was pissed they got us and he said yes, no more then $300. I went out and got one and by the time I tested it and setup it was 30 mins away from my quitting time at 2:00 pm. We have semi trailers parted at multi places in the back to the shipping doors for storage. We had one right in sight of the van in which we did not move. All trys to conceal it did not work, so I rolled the dice that they were not looking for it, so it was right on the lower stabilizing crossbar next to the large leg coming down. I set it to go off by action and I had a 64GB card and on the highest rez to get a distant plate. I went home at 2:10PM. I came back in the morning and the other cat was gone. I was happy as heck, I got them. I pulled the card and to my horror the card was filled at 12:40AM. Darn (&%#@!) I guess I don't have them, I thought. I was sure they would park in the business next us and walk in to get the cat later in the morning.

So I started looking from 7:00PM and on. Nothing. I was so pissed, I did 10 shots per "trip" and not 5. I might of had them then. It took me 1.2 hours to go through the first run. A guy at work said load the first one and do an arrow forward fast and speed watch it from the start it should take 30 mins doing it that way. So it worked as he stated so I started going through it with almost zero hope. BOOM, 15-20 mins after I left work the day before they HIT just after a shift change. We got the car, Saturn Vue SUV black, we got the plate with a letter that could be either or. A guy ran the plates on a site he knew posts the year and description of the car. It came up 2010 Black Saturn Vue. A guy at work use to own one and said that looks like that year. by the rear lights. We got a semi clear profile of the guy getting out or in the car and one looking front shot looking at our employee door. We got him lying down next to the car, but not under it and what appeared to be a grinder next to the rim. This guy was SO SO SO SO defining of a looking guy. Odd looking enough to not be mistaken for anyone else. Big browses, cantilevered forehead, ect.... A Spaniard Arnold Schwarzenegger, but more defining and uglier.

We got the plate and it matchs the database that this guy at work knows it good and the plate matchs the car. I called back the cop and he said we have good photos and we have 2 choices of plate #s and from a guy at works research states it is the same make and color of car. I brought the photos over to the police station and we figured the could track them down while they still have the cats possibly and they could match up the cuts. I called my brother in law, a retired lieutenant of a local police dept and he said that guy can't be mistakes for anybody but him, but "IT WILL GET BURIED IN INVESTIGATIONS and go no where". Trust me. I called the police dept two days later and talked to "investigations" and they said "the plates were stolen, case closed" thank you goodbye. I said OH the plates that matched the car year and color on the first hit of our research?, Sorry, case closed, goodbye, CLICK. I also found out that week a heating and large heating and A/C company's trucks got hit to a tune of 12 trucks, said to be $47,000 worth of cats by their insurance we later were told. ALL the cats gone in this municipality They could of done so much more for this problem, but they just don't give a rats......

Yet this police force will do 9 units = 9 squad car speed traps on a industrial park back road 3 times a summer that is set at 30 mph where the speed SHOULD be and is conducive to be 45 mph and most do at least that. This seems to also include a SGT. too to over see. Squads cars all lined up after the corner after they lazer you and you come around the bend. Always a blud bath. You see at least 6 cars at all times getting tickets on an assembly line. And they can't try to catch and roll the buyer of these cats.

Last edited:
Police have no obligation to protect you and/or your property. They have no obligation to help you in any way, shape or form if you were a victim of a crime. They don't even have an obligation to investigate.

The literally can be as useful or useless as they wish, or the government wishes.
Would you like to expand on this statement?

Last edited:
I think you are right. Case in point.

We were selling an old Ford E250 delivery van at work around mid February in Minnesota. I put it in Craigslist and 3 days later at 4:30AM as a worker was pulling in to the back lot where employees park. He went to park and noticed a car driving off the other side exit to the back lot. He parked next to the van, and noticed the light dusting of snow that night was disturbed with jacket/body imprints on the side and under the van. He looked under and saw a hanging exhaust. So when I came in at 6AM he said the cats were stolen and I saw a car driving off, but did not think anything of it as sometimes people work late on 2nd shift. After the cats were gone he thought I wonder if that was them. We looked at the cameras and we saw the guy was under the car and our guys lights gave him enough time to get out from under the car and jump in the passenger seat and be driving off by the time our guy got to the back of the building.

I went to start it up to see if they got it. It was LOUD so they got it. I did a quick look under and saw the hanging mid pipe. I called the cops and they said we can't do much, and yes it is a problem. A cop called me from his squad and filled a report as they don't come out for cat theft. He talked about business putting in entry way post cameras to get plates. The police report was filed and case closed for the most part at the end of the call. 8:30AM. I went back out and looked at the body prints more when it became light out and notice both sides had body prints. So I looked closer and they got the driver cat, but they only were 1/2 of the last pipe away from getting the passenger cat. I thought these guys will be back, I thought possible meth heads with no brains. Their greed and stupidity will make them come back, it will bug them they were only 1/2 cut away from getting the 2nd cat. Our guy did not take chase, and they saw him park like he saw nothing.

I talked to my boss about buying a trail camera and trying to catch these guys and he denied it. I ended up calling the CFO and asked if I can spend $300 for a trail cam since I really think these guys will be back. He was ****** they got us and he said yes, no more then $300. I went out and got one and by the time I tested it and setup it was 30 mins away from my quitting time at 2:00 pm. We have semi trailers parted at multi places in the back to the shipping doors for storage. We had one right in sight of the van in which we did not move. All trys to conceal it did not work, so I rolled the dice that they were not looking for it, so it was right on the lower stabilizing crossbar next to the large leg coming down. I set it to go off by action and I had a 64GB card and on the highest rez to get a distant plate. I went home at 2:10PM. I came back in the morning and the other cat was gone. I was happy as heck, I got them. I pulled the card and to my horror the card was filled at 12:40AM. Darn (&%#@!) I guess I don't have them, I thought. I was sure they would park in the business next us and walk in to get the cat later in the morning.

So I started looking from 7:00PM and on. Nothing. I was so ******, I did 10 shots per "trip" and not 5. I might of had them then. It took me 1.2 hours to go through the first run. A guy at work said load the first one and do an arrow forward fast and speed watch it from the start it should take 30 mins doing it that way. So it worked as he stated so I started going through it with almost zero hope. BOOM, 15-20 mins after I left work the day before they HIT just after a shift change. We got the car, Saturn Vue SUV black, we got the plate with a letter that could be either or. A guy ran the plates on a site he knew posts the year and description of the car. It came up 2010 Black Saturn Vue. A guy at work use to own one and said that looks like that year. by the rear lights. We got a semi clear profile of the guy getting out or in the car and one looking front shot looking at our employee door. We got him lying down next to the car, but not under it and what appeared to be a grinder next to the rim. This guy was SO SO SO SO defining of a looking guy. Odd looking enough to not be mistaken for anyone else. Big browses, cantilevered forehead, ect.... A Spaniard Arnold Schwarzenegger, but more defining and uglier.

We got the plate and it matchs the database that this guy at work knows it good and the plate matchs the car. I called back the cop and he said we have good photos and we have 2 choices of plate #s and from a guy at works research states it is the same make and color of car. I brought the photos over to the police station and we figured the could track them down while they still have the cats possibly and they could match up the cuts. I called my brother in law, a retired lieutenant of a local police dept and he said that guy can't be mistakes for anybody but him, but "IT WILL GET BURIED IN INVESTIGATIONS and go no where". Trust me. I called the police dept two days later and talked to "investigations" and they said "the plates were stolen, case closed" thank you goodbye. I said OH the plates that matched the car year and color on the first hit of our research?, Sorry, case closed, goodbye, CLICK. I also found out that week a heating and large heating and A/C company's trucks got hit to a tune of 12 trucks, said to be $47,000 worth of cats by their insurance we later were told. ALL the cats gone in this municipality They could of done so much more for this problem, but they just don't give a rats......

Yet this police force will do 9 units = 9 squad car speed traps on a industrial park back road 3 times a summer that is set at 30 mph where the speed SHOULD be and is conducive to be 45 mph and most do at least that. This seems to also include a SGT. too to over see. Squads cars all lined up after the corner after they lazer you and you come around the bend. Always a blud bath. You see at least 6 cars at all times getting tickets on an assembly line. And they can't try to catch and roll the buyer of these cats.

Another thing local LEO also aren't required to police federal law.

Police have no obligation to protect you and/or your property. They have no obligation to help you in any way, shape or form if you were a victim of a crime. They don't even have an obligation to investigate.

The literally can be as useful or useless as they wish, or the government wishes.
I have sure seen that 1,000 fold the last 3 years. I keep wondering why. I can’t seem to put a finger on it. But that explains why they did nothing.

The government has little control over police. That's a major part of the problem. Police think that they are the ones who run the town, not the mayor.

I was working in Florida and stopped at a big Ford dealer to get my company trucks oil changed. The night before they had over 50 cats stolen from trucks, with many in the front of the dealership on a heavily traveled street.

Back