Good cleaning oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a nephew who is a full time college student and works part time. We had a recent family get together. I asked him if I could check the oil on his Hyundai Sonata because I know he does not do regular oil changes. I looked at the sticker in the window from Wal Mart and he is over 27,000 miles on PYB. It made me sick. He is only about a quart low. There is heavy varnish buildup as I looked down through the filler cap. Made me sick. My sister(his mother) gave him the car to help him out at college. Good kid just no mechanical sense.
What is a good oil to clean up this engine? PYB. Mobil 5000?

Last edited:
Id dump it and refill with the cheapest thing i could find at wally world and (yes im a believer) replace one quart with some MMO Marvels Mystery Oil. Run that for around 2,500-3,500 then dump.. Then step up to a better oil and run that out further.. My two pennies. For conventional, PYB is great, for synthetic, i buy whats on sale and i can get the best deal on.. I would do atleast a few regular short runs with conventional before i threw synthetic in it..

Marvel Mystery oil would be my choice. Just add a pint or quart next oil change. Then teach that man the importance of Maintence. I have to think this more common with young people than not, though.

You're sick? Now, I'm sick!

Remember the old expression "He's all thumbs?" Maybe that describes the nephew's texting agility but demonstrating little common sense.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Then teach that man the importance of Maintence. I have to think this more common with young people than not, though.

This is the most important to do after cleaning up the engine.[color:#CC0000][/color]

Is it going to go another 27k? Amsoil Signature Series and one of their filters.

Will you see him often enough to do 7,500? PU.

Can you do some 3k changes for him? PYB.

Either way, beat him with a stick.

Im with the MMO recommendation and PYB with a few short like 5k OCI. Slap this boy and make him respect the gift he was given. Good luck.

Yeah he is really book smart he is going to be a Doctor. He knows nothing about vehicles. I told him I will be more than happy to maintain the car for him. He lives in a different city, so it makes it hard. I called him up to ask him if he changed the oil and he said he still has not but he said he got all A's on his finals. I could ring his neck. I checked my nieces car oil who is a full time student and she is current on her oil changes. Go figure.
I plan on doing the oil changes and they will be short intervals until I get it clean.

Last edited:
First off, maybe this is a lesson that he needs to learn. I know an engine isn't cheap but some life lessons are not cheap. It would be better to learn on this car than a newly leased one or, worse yet, a neglecting a leaking roof or pipe in his house.

I would STRONGLY recommend not using MMO or kreen. It could break free enough stuff to block the oil pickup. It is common for a motor to leak a little oil after cleaning up from neglect.

My advice: don't touch it. Whatever happens down the road will be your fault.

Only caveat is that if your adding mmo, then substitute one quart of oil with one grade up in weight. So if your spec'd 5w-30 then use one quart of 10w-40, 10-20% mmo, and remainder 5-w30. If you can run a 30 or 40 grade just run the 40 grade with mmo added.

Mobil 5000 or PYB seem to be preferred.. A couple of 3k runs should do the job.

I will probably use PYB with a cheap filter and change it every 3K.
I will make sure he watches me to learn how to do it properly.
What I am afraid of is if he does ruin the engine and needs repairs or a newer car, his mom will provide the money and no lesson is learned.

And if you do all this to help him and you use the same filter for multiple OCIs, I will personally look you and him up and beat both of y'all with a stick!
06.gif
crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif

PYB or M5K with Purolator Classic filters @ 3-5K mile OCIs.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Is it going to go another 27k? Amsoil Signature Series and one of their filters.

Will you see him often enough to do 7,500? PU.

Can you do some 3k changes for him? PYB.

Either way, beat him with a stick.

I like your thinking, including the last point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back