Good bye and hello...

Well, traded the '08 Sorento for a '10 Xterra...my new daily driver/beater...
Resized_20221112_111136.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the congrats.
Using this thread, please post petenant things like mileage (odo), basic equipment (engine size, manual vs auto etc.) and motivation.
Best of luck with it.

See, that sucks.
My friends '08 Frontier was on the cusp of being rid of the bad radiator cooler problem.
Seeing it's still around in a 2010 shows you how much they care.

Solid SUV. By '10 the trans cooler problem was probably solved but you may want to do some checking. Search "strawberry milkshake of death", or SMOD.

Oops, looks like a 2010 Xterra could still have the problem. Fix is either new radiator or remote trans cooler.
Yep. I think '09/10 was the transition year where they switch the radiator design and the tranny fluid type to fix that problem. But yeah, already plan on swapping out the current radiator (not sure yet if it is OEM or not) with a solid aluminum one.

Has 141k miles on it, OFF ROAD model which means it has the rear diff lock. 1 owner and it is not rusted out like a lot of others I've been looking at. Got rid of the Sorento...rear diff making noises and can't get any parts for it. I hope, at least, with the Xterra, parts are more readily available. Rear end is a Dana 44 type.

Beater? You must have a different definition of "beater" than most people here.
Maybe...my definition is...take care of it, but don't stress over it. For example, back when I got the '08 Sorento...3 days later I was at a Home Depot parking lot. Some 'idiot' on a cell phone wasn't paying attention to his cart (not shopping cart, but one of those big flat carts) and it rolled into the back side of the Sorento...put a nice little dent. I was pissed, but exchanged a few words (he apologized in the end and offered his insurance info) and moved on...no big deal. Now, had it been my 4Runner or my wife's (then new) CRV...then yeah, police, fire, doctors, lawyers would be involved.

2011 was the end of the SMOD years. 2010 is possible. There is a list of calsonic radiators affected over at thenewx.org albeit not guaranteed to be complete - https://www.thenewx.org/threads/list-of-calsonic-radiator-part-numbers-associated-with-smod.220778/

I replaced my rad with a Koyo A2807 - its generally the preferred swap. A few guys went with the expensive full aluminum ones - I don't remember from where - and they all ended up leaking in not all that long. Your call obviosly.

Definitely worth what you paid.

2011 was the end of the SMOD years. 2010 is possible. There is a list of calsonic radiators affected over at thenewx.org albeit not guaranteed to be complete - https://www.thenewx.org/threads/list-of-calsonic-radiator-part-numbers-associated-with-smod.220778/

I replaced my rad with a Koyo A2807 - its generally the preferred swap. A few guys went with the expensive full aluminum ones - I don't remember from where - and they all ended up leaking in not all that long. Your call obviosly.

Definitely worth what you paid.
Thanks for the info...was there a reason or cause for the full aluminum radiators leaking?

Well, there is a reason I call it a 'beater'...this past weekend, came out to the local Walmart parking lot after picking some sweet tea and milk and found driver side mirror housing cracked (huge). Looks like something smacked it pretty good. And of course, no note or anything. Oh well. At least it went a whole week before it got 'hit'. Used some Gorilla glue super glue to hold it together until I can replace it.

Solid vehicle. Enjoy it. If memory serves, you can add a little front suspension lift with a simple turn of the torsion bar adjustment nut located about under the front seats. This is an excellent truck-based suv, a thing we’ve lost. well-sorted drivetrain, they can go many long miles.

Those things really suck the gasoline!
Compared to 'modern' trucks...yeah, they do. But the believe it or not, the mileage is about the same as the Sorento...remember, the Sorento I had was a 'truck' based SUV...full frame, solid rear axle, 4wd. But if you can stay off the gas pedal, it is not that bad. The Xterra is roomier and has better off road capability...and yes, it does 'feel' more solid...especially off road. I do have to admit though, the Sorento being lower to the ground and having multilink with coil springs in the rear does handle better on the road...handles the curves better.

Back