Good Books to Read

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing suggested books to read about the SR-71 l figured that would be a good thread for must read books on planes and aviation.
I will start with Scream of Eagles. The story of the Top Gun program for advanced ACM in the US Navy.
Lets hear about more. DD

Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years at Lockheed

Written by Ben Rich and Leo Janos, it was published in
1996, but it is still unsurpassed in telling the inside
stories of the design, prototyping and testing of top-
secret projects for the USAF, CIA and NASA. Ben Rich was
there from the '50s through his retirement in the '90s
as the head of the Skunk Works and was involved in the
U2, SR71, B2, F117a projects, and more. Those stories
are still stunning, years after they'd gone public.
It's simply an extraordinary book.

Amazon stocks it and has made quite a few pages available
so you can testdrive it before buying.

Last edited:
Im sorry l should have included the author of the Scream of Eagles. It was written by Robert K. Wilcox. Makes it easier to find the book if it needs to be ordered. DD

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Try 'Not much of an engineer' by Sir Stanley Hooker.

Awesome read, I read it in an afternoon sitting.

Another good one. Over The Beach. The Air War In Vietnam. By Zalin Grant.The 1966 to 1972 Navy F-8 squadrons flying off the USS ORISKANY. Also covers the fire on the carrier. A very good read.DD

When I knew I wanted to have a career in aviation I hit my local books store, which seems to have all but disappeared today... I read what ever get my hands on. What part of aviation are you looking to read about? If you like systems there's a nice 737 book out there. Expensive though. Link. The author also has a website as well. Here. I always show people them looking to learn systems in general or looking at flying the 737.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back