Going To The Dark Side

When I bought my iPhone 11 I ordered it early in the morning and it was delivered to the house around 1400 that same day.
Never knew Apple did this. We do have an Apple store here as well. On the other hand, if VZW has the model (color, GB, etc) in stock, you can do an in-store pick-up in a few hours (or less). I do see the appeal of delivery though.

Looks like our area can only do next-day delivery. They call it "Express" but for all I know, that just means overnight shipping via Fedex. When I put in our daughter's zip code (in Columbus OH), she can get delivery within 2 hours. They call the 2-hour option a "courier" delivery so I'm sure the next-day delivery is Fedex, UPS, etc coming from Memphis, Louisville, etc.

So it's not 10 years old.
Ten year old phones were mentioned, so I looked at what was released in 2012 and came up with the iPhone5.

Just going by what was posted.

Andrew said that not me.

App support is also why I need a phone that can stay current.

I use mileage apps for travel a lot, when your phone cant stay current.

I dont know what the useful life of an android phone is, and I imagine it varies,

Im a cheap phone guy - perfectly happy with a lowly SE with a chunk of storage.

Is there a consensus on which phones are supported the longest?
Google Pixels and iPhones

So it's not 10 years old.
Ten year old phones were mentioned, so I looked at what was released in 2012 and came up with the iPhone5.
People are still using iPhone 5 models. I've seen people using iPhone 4 models. They still work but they no longer get software updates including security updates. The apps the users have likely aren't being updated either.

Google Pixels and iPhones

People are still using iPhone 5 models. I've seen people using iPhone 4 models. They still work but they no longer get software updates including security updates. The apps the users have likely aren't being updated either.

The problem with any iPhone 4S or earlier would be that 3G is being phased out.

Is there a consensus on which phones are supported the longest? I really dont know?

Here you go:

Android (1, 2)

iOS (1, 2, 3)

In general, Apple has provided at least five years of support, with the exception of one model, since 2011, and two models, the 6S and SE1, have received seven years of support. The forthcoming release of iOS 16 makes the iPhone 8 the minimum, so that streak ends. Where Apple has set the EOL breakpoints has been determined by hardware requirements, like 64-bit addressing, and adequate RAM capacity to run the new OS.

In non-Luddite circles, where people keep track of this stuff, the consensus has long been that Apple has a better track record of support, which even some Android users admit to envying.

Android has improved no doubt, and Google has upped its game with the Pixel 6 models, but the historical trend still favors iOS in this respect, after many years of relative neglect on the Android side.

Ironically, the tables are turned when comparing Mac OS to Windows, where Apple's unwritten [Current OS] [+2] policy is outclassed by Windows.

Either way, the facts can't be disputed.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled internet platform scuffle, featuring the classic "I don't need/want/fathom X, ergo nobody else does/could/should either" internet trope.

Last edited:
Aye, but there are workarounds for that ;) (writing this from a 2010 vintage Mac Pro running Monterey 12.5.1)

Aye, but that's going to be more difficult going forward with the effects of the AS transition on the OS.

Should have also noted that the iOS 12.5.6 security update dropped yesterday, for the 2013MY iPhone 5S and iPad/iPod models.

C'mon people, let's stick to the threads subject. I don't want a MOD to shut down my post.
THANK YOU! :)
So OP, you’ve been given a lot of information over the past few days. What are you thinking?

P.S. Last night, Apple just released a security update for devices dating back to 2013 including the iPhone 5S. So again, if you are looking for longevity in a phone. Is 9 years of security updates sufficient?

Last edited:
P.S. Last night, Apple just released a security update for devices dating back to 2013 including the iPhone 5S. So again, if you are looking for longevity in a phone. Is 9 years of security updates sufficient?
For reference, is Samsung updating the OS or security on their Galaxy S4 phones ? Even if they did, will Verizon, ATT, Cricket, etc in turn push the update to their customers ?

I don't remember anyone saying that they didn't need a phone to make phone calls. I'd think it would be the most basic requirement for a mobile phone.
The phone and it's hardware is still viable and functioning. Because outside entities disabled a network it uses isn't the fault of the device.

I use my phone a lot and I like electronics as a sort of hobby.
The longest I ever kept any phone in the last 20 years was 2 years before getting a new one.
About 3 years ago I got my first Apple phone (IphoneXR) and that is the longest I ever kept a phone, that was for 2.5 years and still in perfect condition when I replaced it with a iPhone 13
I suspect I will own this one for up to 3 years as I think we are getting to a point of diminishing "returns" on cell phone technology, meaning what will be so new that current phones dont have? Im almost hoping Apple has something in the works that will come out in three years.

I do have a new Apple Watch 7, fantastic device and I think future additions I will be spending my money on vs the phone.
I expect new versions of the Apple Watch will have functions such as blood pressure and blood sugar.
The Cardiac version of my current watch 7 with its ECG/EKG function got me the testing and procedures I needed. I was already being treated by my cardiologist but my watch turned up much more frequent PVCs and PACs then they were aware of, further testing my them also showed a short VTACH.
More or less I was able to bring pages and pages of read outs from my Apple Watch when I had chest discomfort, DR thought it was great and it accelerated tests and treatments.

BTW- I am in great shape, meaning my family history is horrible for the heart. But I stay on top of things and the watch showed minor issues happening very frequently and if it was addressed so quickly COULD have finally started to wear on my heart. SO because of the watch, it was caught before rather than later.
When I say great shape, I work out at Orange Theory, and to give you an idea, I so far this year have ran my heart at 84 to 101% of my age appropriate heart rate for 1,500 minutes so far this year. I go twice a week.

Anyway, these devices are fantastic and I am wondering in the future if we will even be carrying cell phones, hmmm.. yeah but we still need a screen, so far anyway. I can have perfectly clear conversations using the watch though.

Anyway, these devices are fantastic and I am wondering in the future if we will even be carrying cell phones, hmmm.. yeah but we still need a screen, so far anyway. I can have perfectly clear conversations using the watch though.

Maybe the Watch with AirPods.

Back