Going into neutral at stop lights?

People have driven millions of cars for decades without doing all of these silly things ..

I don't want to add the extra wear on my shift linkages based on the specific vehicles I own and number of stop-lights I sit at in a day.
I don't think your premise is invalid but you have to consider that as well...
The shift cable in my grand marquis is known to fail. Plus now there's extra wear on the soelnoids and clutch packs as it's engaging.

The biggest weakpoint in the 4R70w trans is the pump that wears out. And it's running as long as the engine is running ...

Considering I don't own any auto transmission vehicles, I do the same myself.
(y)
I was thinking the same, what's the big deal about going into neutral at a stop light. Saves the throwout bearing :)
Never occurred to me we are talking about the devil's transmission, LOL.

In the past I have been tempted to switch to neutral for a wide variety of reasons.

One vehicle, had a bad transmission mount that was hard to get at with due to age and rust, so the car had alot of vibrations at stop lights that would correct at higher idles/neutral.

Another vehicle, had a stall out issue. Lastly, parking lot traffic on major highways which would be a PITA to sit on the brake all day.

Nowdays with the newer cars, and auto hold systems not really a concern.

Don't worry about heat gain in ATF at idle. I have used a scangauge to watch ATF temperatures in a couple of vehicles. Unless you are towing heavy and go from hwy speeds to a full stop quickly, ATF temps will hold or drop in gear at idle. Heat gain on a torque converter (which is where the heat is generated at a stop light) with a 600rpm differential will be minimal. Keep it in gear or put it in park.

Back